[Solved] Install only Writer

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
freedda

[Solved] Install only Writer

Post by freedda »

New to OO. To save space on my drive, I am wondering if I can install just the writer ( word processing), instead of the complete suite?

Regards, d.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
RusselB

Re: Install only writer

Post by RusselB »

It is possible. When you run the installer you have to pick the Custom Install option.
Please note that there is a fair bit of the suite that will still be installed as some of the components are required whether you have one part (in your case Writer) installed or the entire suite.
I did a comparison a while back regarding the amount of space required on a component by component basis, with a comparison to the entire suite. While I can't find my notes at this point, it seems to me that even installing just one component still required about 75% of the space required for the entire suite.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
freedda

Post by freedda »

Thanks. So it seems that for not much more space I can install the whole suite. Seems like it might be the way to go.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

On my test Windows 7 a full install of AOO uses just over 300 Mb in the Program Files directory - there may be a few other small files elsewhere.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Using Writer to create labels or for mail merge requires Base to be installed.

On a modern PC the disk is so large that the saving is trivially small in comparison. Run a disk cleanup utility - it will almost certainly delete far more junk from your disk that you save by installing only part of AOO. Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.