Clicking "update" in OO 4.1.3 opens a word document

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
mgd2543

Clicking "update" in OO 4.1.3 opens a word document

Post by mgd2543 »

Helpful People:

When checking for Extension Manager updates in OO 4.1.3 using Windows 7, I get an Open Office error box that the particular windows_x86 update.xml does not exist. When I click on OK, the available extension updates dialog box appears. Clicking on Install opens a microsoft word (MS Office version 2010) document that has a lot of website information rather than the website itself. Please help me with OO settings to keep this from happening.

Thanks,
MGD2543
Openoffice 4.1.3 on windows 7
RusselB

Re: Clicking "update" in OO 4.1.3 opens a word document

Post by RusselB »

I'd suggest doing a Repair of your Open Office installation.
That should take care of the error message you are getting.
Next, if the problem of the MS Word file isn't fixed by the above, check your file associations to ensure that the .oxt extension is associated with Open Office.
I'd also check that your web browser isn't doing a blind rename of the downloaded file. Internet Explorer is a culprit for doing this type of thing.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
mgd2543

Post by mgd2543 »

RusselB:

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the problem still exists. The exact error message is as follows:
http://aoo-pdf-import.apache-extras.org ... update.xml does not exist.

Could it be that the extension manager code that is pointing to a bad website? Any additional thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

Regards,
mgd2543
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Entering "apache-extras.org" in a Web browser address bar redirects to:

https://code.google.com/archive/

which says "The Google Code Archive contains the data found on the Google Code Project Hosting Service, which will be turned down in early 2016."

Are you trying to update the PDF Import extension?

https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... openoffice
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
mgd2543

Post by mgd2543 »

Bill:

Thanks for the links. They provide a good workaround for updating the extensions. I was hoping for a fix to the code that gives me the error message and opens the word document. I have tried repairing OpenOffice and double-checking all file extension associations, but still have the original problem. Any other thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Regards,
MGD2543