OpenOffice validity

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Peajie

OpenOffice validity

Post by Peajie »

I have been happily using Open office 4.1.3; but today after downloading a trial Microsoft Word 2016 there was continual contention between them.
and my files created by "Open Office" are shown as "Microsoft Word documents" in my folders, which is very confusing.
Can somebody clarify this and assure me that if I cease using "Word" I will not lose access to the Open Office file?
Open Office 4.1.3. on Windows 7 Professional
RoryOF

Re: Open office validity

Post by RoryOF »

MS Word has taken responsibility for opening OpenOffice files. Simply remake File Associations to tell Windows that OpenOffice is to open this or that type of file, or reinstall OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Peajie

Re: OpenOffice validity

Post by Peajie »

Thank you RoryOF. Never thought of the principal - "The last punch wins a fight". I have uninstalled Open office and down loaded a replacement. Now it has regained its integrity.
However, can you tell me will it open my existing M/s Word files when I end the free trial with them? I am busy doing copy/paste of my Word text into Office documents; but I will never have time to complete this. I also have many Publisher documents which I will apparently lose if I do not pay Microsoft's exhorbitent fee of us$70 a month.
I was originally happy in a multicultural society until suddenly I was unable to open ANY text documents, with a message that "PRO11.MSI" had disappeared from my computer.
And it seems nobody can tell me what that was, or how to replace it. Peajie. [ PS. A belated Happy birthday to Pooh, he leads me by 7 years].
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If you keep your documents on your computer, flash drive or non-Microsoft owned cloud server (eg: Dropbox, Google Drive), then your documents will be available to Open Office during and after your trial of MS Word.
There is little to no need to copy & paste your files from MS Word to Open Office Writer. For the most part you can just open the file using Writer (by using File -> Open)
We do recommend that you save your files using the Open Document Format (.odt extension for Writer files), even if you have the files in MS Word format.
One of the reasons for this, is that the Open Document Format is an international standard, and, if there is corruption of the file, it might be recoverable.
The MS Word formats are not international standards, and vary from one version of Word to another, even though there is little or no difference in the extension used, thus making it difficult to determine which version of Word was used.

As to the PRO11.MSI issue, a quick Google search brought up nearly 300,000 hits. The results I got are at https://www.google.ca/search?q=pro11.ms ... e&ie=UTF-8
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I have uninstalled Open office and down loaded a replacement. Now it has regained its integrity.
You only needed to change the file associations in Windows. Principle - using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut :)
will it open my existing M/s Word files
Generally, yes - but you may lose some formatting. See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files
I am busy doing copy/paste of my Word text into Office documents
Recent versions of MS Office - after around Office 2007 - should be able to open Writer files - you might find this quicker.
PRO11.MSI
An internet search turns up quite a lot of information - e.g. this page at Microsoft. Obviously it isn't related to AOO so we won't be able to offer much useful advice.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Peajie

Post by Peajie »

Edit:  
Thank you every body, the message learnt after a week of frustration is stay away from Microsoft. Not sure if this is the right Edit button to end? Until next time.