[Solved] File icon to Desktop

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
molloyro

[Solved] File icon to Desktop

Post by molloyro »

How do I create an icon on Desktop for a file in Open Office ?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: File icon to Desktop

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Open the file Explorer, right click the file and drag it on the desktop, it should ask what action you want to do, select shortcut to the file.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
molloyro

Post by molloyro »

Forgive me, I'm new at this. I right clicked File Explorer on the left side on the desktop. I get a screen that says Pin to Start and under that are a dozen or so items including Desktop, documents, and it includes two files one of which I want to create an icon for on the desktop. I right click on it and am asked if I want to open, unpin from list or properties; I try to drag it to desktop but it won't cooperate! Honestly, I am not sure what Pin and unpin mean. Recently somehow my Desktop
changed & many of the icons I had disappeared. My aim is to get the files I use most often to be on my desktop as an icon. I don't know if I am explaining this properly.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If you're using Windows 10 (your signature says Windows XP, but your description sounds more like Windows 10), left click the File Explorer icon on the Taskbar at the bottom of the Desktop to open File Explorer. Right-click the file and select Send To > Desktop (create shortcut).

Right-clicking File Explorer doesn't open File Explorer. It opens a right-click menu with options that can be selected for File Explorer.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
molloyro

Post by molloyro »

Oh dear Lord....!!! They were there all the time, they were just hidden off the screen and I didn't see them. thank you so much.