[Solved] soffice bin -- bad image

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Gil T

[Solved] soffice bin -- bad image

Post by Gil T »

The error message box when I try to open my OO has the heading: soffice bin -- bad image

Error status: )xc0000020

Until May 2017 there was no solution to this problem which is related to some incompatibility issues between Modern apps (?) and MS Windows. The error is identified as ID 5973. There is a solution from MS Windows now. Although I can pursue (and I might end up having to do so) with Windows I understand a complete reinstall of OO will (or might) resolve the issue.

My question, to which I think I have the sickening answer, is will my documents which are currently in OO be lost?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Gil T
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Apache Office 4.1.3
Windows 8.1
64 bit OS, x64 bit based processor
RusselB

Re: soffice bin -- bad image

Post by RusselB »

Your documents are stored on your computer. Uninstalling/reinstalling OpenOffice will not affect your documents, but it may affect any specializations that you have made (eg: adding words to the custom dictionary)
As you are getting a bad image error, I would suggest that you verify your disk integrity after removing your current installation of OpenOffice, but before downloading a new version.
Please ensure that you download from http://www.openoffice.org/download
After making the appropriate selections from that page, you will be automatically forwarded to the Sourceforge servers, where, after a short delay, your actual download will begin automatically.
There is (usually) no need to click anything on the Sourceforge page.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Gil T

Post by Gil T »

Thank you.
I have not seen any bad image error messages. Furthermore, my work is all strictly text, no images of any kind. I appreciate the info and will re-post the results. Again, you for your support, RusselB.
Apache Office 4.1.3
Windows 8.1
Gil T

Post by Gil T »

RusselB,

Got the download done!! All docs came back up from my hard drive!! Great job!
Thank you very much for your support.
Gil T
Apache Office 4.1.3
Windows 8.1
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Glad it all worked out.
Please remember to mark this topic as [Solved] per the instructions in my signature
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.