OpenOffice as Default

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Stan Zorch

OpenOffice as Default

Post by Stan Zorch »

Request for help –

A few days ago I used an application named NINITE to update certain of my software on a Microsoft-based PC laptop. I selected several applications for update and also selected Open Office as one to download and install as I wanted to try it. Ninite worked fine but in the process of installing OO it set the default program for every MS Office application (WORD, EXCEL, etc.) to Open Office.

I have never used OO but want to try it. I do not YET want every document on my laptop defaulted to OO. I thought about just deleting OO to recover my use of all of my documents (until I can become more familiar with OO). I am not sure what may happen in that case, and I am not sure that it may be better in the long run to make use of OO – but, I want to make that decision myself and not some piece of software doing it for me. I don’t know if Ninite or OO changed the defaults.

Question – How do I fix my laptop so that it retains OO (if possible, but deletion is OK too) but I want to convert all my MS documents back to MS Office defaults (WORD, EXCEL, Etc, until if and when I make the decision to use OO.

I make use of 3 PCs and 2 Macs, and do a great deal of analysis and writing and this has pretty well upset my daily work. Please give me a simple solution that returns all my documents to Microsoft as DEFAULT – until I make the decision to do something different.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3

Windows XP, SP3
RoryOF

Re: Open Office as Default

Post by RoryOF »

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS