[Solved] New laptop: docs read only, can't assert ownership

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Karen Corbel

[Solved] New laptop: docs read only, can't assert ownership

Post by Karen Corbel »

Got a new laptop this week after the old one was stolen. I have installed OpenOffice 4.1.3 and transferred all my documents from the backup hard drive.
All documents are now read only.
I have tried both at document level and at the document folder level to take off the 'read only' attribute but as soon as I open any document it again reverts to read only mode.
I recall having the same issue last time I replaced my laptop but can't remember how I eventually solved it.
Last edited by Karen Corbel on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: New laptop - all docs read only - can't assert ownership

Post by Bill »

There are several reasons that documents will open "read only". How did you "transfer" the documents? Did you copy them to your Documents folder? If you did, then you should have ownership and full control permissions for the files. What are the permissions on the document files? What are the permissions on the Documents folder?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

[Solved] Transferring documents to a new computer

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Karen Corbel

Post by Karen Corbel »

That's it sorted, thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10