Opening OpenOffice documents saved as Word

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
anniepurna

Opening OpenOffice documents saved as Word

Post by anniepurna »

When I save an OpenOffice document as "Word" on my PC I can successfully open the document. However if I save the same OpenOffice document as "Word" on my laptop I am met with this window:- "You are trying to use Office but don`t have Office". I am then asked to buy, activate or try Office. Both computers usw Windows 10.
OpenOffice 4.1.3
Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Opening OpenOffice documents saved as Word

Post by Villeroy »

1. ALWAYS save your data in the native file format of the program you are using. Save doc when working with MSWord. Save odt when working with Writer.
2. If -- and only if -- there is a very good reason to export your work to some foreign document format, only then you may save in a foreign file format. I never ever save any document as doc. All my documents that need to be opened by others are sent as PDF. PDF works on all types of computers and smart phones. Even my dumb phone can display PDF properly.

Reasons why one may decide to save a Writer document to doc:
1. The receipient of your doc is supposed to not only read, but co-edit the document with you.
In this case one of the following may apply:

2.1. Stupidity of the receipient ("only document format we ever used")
2.2. Receipient has a Word version older than 2007. Word 2007 can open odt documents indeed.
2.3. Your document is so complex that a recent version of MS Word can not edit the odt properly. In most cases it will handle the exported doc.

If you feel bad with any document format other than doc, then you have to install Microsoft Word and nothing else. OpenOffice is not a free replacement for MS Word since it is not the best choice to produce doc files.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Your laptop probably doesn't have a file association to tell it to open .doc files with OpenOffice.

Here is a link with pictures showing ways of changing default programs in Win 10.

I also recommend you follow Villeroy's advice and avoid the use of MS Office formats.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Hugh.Gill

Post by Hugh.Gill »

When trying to save or save as, a document as A Microsoft Word document it comes up with the message No more files. I had Office Org 3 and have upgraded to 4, but it has not resolved problem.
Apache Open Office 4 on Windows 10