[Solved] Crash/recovery/"locked"/crash cycle repeats

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
JackH

[Solved] Crash/recovery/"locked"/crash cycle repeats

Post by JackH »

Using Open Office 4.1.3, Writer 4.00.9783 with Win10.

OpenOffice Writer crashed on me this morning, then went into its usual automatic file recovery, but then announced that all the files that had been open at the time of the crash were now "locked by unknown user" and could only be opened "read only or "open copy." I chose the "open copy" option. After completing the recovery process, I attempted to open one of the documents and was immediately plunged into the same cycle again. Any attempt on my part to open an on-screen document, or close it, or edit it, triggered the same crash-recovery-lock-crash process. The same thing happened when I then chose the "read only" option.

With OO closed, using "file search" to open a Writer document that had not been opened at the time of the original crash caused the same open/recover/"lock"/crash cycle.

I have read the forum entries on this problem but do not understand them very well. For instance "find the hidden lock file" presents only a mystery to me.

This is my first visit to OO forums. I will appreciate any help that may be offered to me.
Last edited by JackH on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Crash/recovery/"locked"/crash cycle repeats

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

See if this helps: [Solved] Locked out.
This may help also: How to see hidden files in Windows.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
JackH

Post by JackH »

Thank you. I followed your instruction (and the ones at bleeping computer.) I have found none of the involved files that have "locked" in the file name.

Is there something else that I can try?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
JackH

Post by JackH »

Thanks for all your efforts to get this difficulty cleared up. I printed out all your instructions and was prepared to go through them this morning, but when I very tentatively brought up writer and opened a document, it was working!

Apparently all that was needed was a re-boot, although Microsoft was indulging in another one of their "updates" at the time yesterday, so that could have had something to do with it, as well.

Again, thanks for all the time you spent on this. i appreciate it. (Now I just need to figure out how to mare this thread with the "solved" icon.)