Tries to supplant another program

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
nicholas1935

Tries to supplant another program

Post by nicholas1935 »

OS is Windows 7, using OpenOffice 4.1.3. Browser is Mozzilla Firefox.

Problem: I opened my Documents folder and saw 20 documents listed for that day. Titles made no sense. Contents were gobbledygook. Erased all 20, but in seconds, a new set of 20 appeared. Weird. Ran numerous on demand AV scanners, the system is clean. After running AV scans to no avail, I re-installed OpenOffice 4.1.3 several times - I thought the program was corrupted. Now, even weirder, my paid version of WinPatrol presents a pop up dialog box, informing me that OpenOffice wants to replace my FreeFileViewer program with OpenOffice. This repeats every few seconds. Guaranteed to also irritate Haggar, slowing down his raiding parties. What would Helga do?

Searches came up empty.

FileViewer can open over 200 file extensions, saving much scratching of head with hind foot. OpenOffice Writer replaces M$ Word, with less bloat at a superior price point. I need both of the conflicting programs. I also need help.

Oh, if this helps; the OpenOffice Wizard claims you can choose which sub program you need, as opposed to the whole suite; nope, not so! I choose Writer and now both icons appear on my desktop. Played with that mucho times. Is this a misprint, or a hint of the problem?

P. S. Dear moderator; kindly slash and burn the excess verbiage. It was my attempt to add a little humor into your busy day. The witty style and the Haggar thing brought a smile to my weathered countenance and inspired me. Cheers, Nick M.
Last edited by RoryOF on Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected typo in Subject [RoryOF, Moderator]
Nicholas1935: OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit; Browser is Mozilla Firefox
open office version 3; Microsoft Professional
RoryOF

Re: Tries to supplant another program

Post by RoryOF »

Whence have you downloaded OpenOffice? Our recommendation is to download only via http://www.openoffice.org/download which will redirect you to Sourceforge, where rthe files are stored under high security. One should not (nor need to) click on anything offered on the Window that opens; the OO download will start automatically in about 5 seconds.

I recommend you uninstall OO and perform a full malware and antivirus scan (with latest definition updates), until these report your computer as clean. Then, from a fresh download of OO (only as outlined above), reinstall OO
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Tries to supplant another program

Post by Bill »

nicholas1935 wrote:Oh, if this helps; the OpenOffice Wizard claims you can choose which sub program you need, as opposed to the whole suite; nope, not so! I choose Writer and now both icons appear on my desktop. Played with that mucho times. Is this a misprint, or a hint of the problem?
"The whole suite" means the main OpenOffice program and all of the sub programs. The main program is always installed. It's only the sub programs that are optional.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04