Virus within OpenOffice ?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
tromboniac

Virus within OpenOffice ?

Post by tromboniac »

Folks,

my wife downloaded the latest update of Openoffice on her laptop. After the installation she had nasty browser hijacker virus on her machine that was not so easy to get rid of, especially on chrome. Not the only case I've heard of - use google to search for www1.online. :crazy: :knock:
Has your download site been hacked ? No accusations, only precaution ! :alarm:

Sorry for the bad news,

tromboniac
Openoffice4..1.1 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Virus within OpenOffice ?

Post by RoryOF »

We recommend to download only through http://www.openoffice.org/download, which will redirect to a nearby Sourceforge site; the downloaded file can be checked for integrity by the methods set out in How to verify the integrity of the downloaded file?

If the file passes this test, it indicates that the file is as it left the code factory.

I recommend removing the existing OpenOffice installation, performing a malware and antivirus check with latest malware etc updates, then rebooting and installing from a download verified as set out in the above link.
 Edit: Usually such virus-ridden downloads happen because the downloader clicks on some offered link, rather than waiting the five seconds for the remote Sourceforge server to initialise the correct download. If you have a record of the actual link (often obtained by right clicking on the file name in the browser download history), please post it so Sourceforge can be informed; they are very cooperative in removing such bad links. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Re: Virus within OpenOffice ?

Post by keme »

RoryOF wrote:...
Usually such virus-ridden downloads happen because the downloader clicks on some offered link, rather than waiting the five seconds for the remote Sourceforge server to initialise the correct download. ...
Another common reason is that you clicked on a search result for "OpenOffice" instead of going directly to the official OpenOffice website.

Some browsers have the address field doubling as a search field, so when the typed URL is not found (e.g. because of "lazy typing" accepting a faulty browser suggestion, an actual typo or a slow DNS lookup), the page fetch converts to a Google/Bing search. This is one important reason why I dislike Chrome and Edge.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10