[Solved] AOO keeps recycling through document recovery

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
rwedge

[Solved] AOO keeps recycling through document recovery

Post by rwedge »

I am an Open Office user for some time now. Today, I went to open the program and the document recovery page appeared, I clicked to restore the documents and it went through the process normally, the program started and all lookes normal until I clicked on one of the open documents then it bounced back to the document recovery process. Did this several times, I re-installed Open Office download.exe and re-installed. After going through this process several times it still repeate the same cycly. Anyone have any ideas? I think my documents are OK and not corrupted (I hope) as they are stored in separate folders away from the program files. Thanks.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Open Office keeps recycling through document recovery.

Post by thomasjk »

Press cancel instead. If that doesn't solve the problem, reset the user profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
rwedge

Re: OpenOffice keeps recycling through document recovery.

Post by rwedge »

I tried the above suggestions and perhaps it is above my capability??? Is there an easier way?
If the problem is in the user.ini file why can I not just delete that file and try again, or why will it not correct the problem if I rename the Openoffice driectory to OOpenoffice.... and then re-install. I also have been thinking of a "restore" from a recent backup as a way to correct the problem.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

There is no user.ini file; the user profile is contained in a number of folders and files. If you are having a problem with the instructions for renaming the profile, perhaps try this method:

Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar (not the search engine) and press Enter. Delete or Rename the "user" folder. Start OpenOffice. Here is a post with screenshots of what happens in Windows 7 - 10 should look somewhat similar. When you restart OpenOffice, you should be prompted for name/initials on next startup of OO.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
rwedge

Post by rwedge »

Thank you David!!! I finally have been able to get this thing re-installed and running properly, and all this frustration for 2 days because of a redundant hidden file that gets left on the drive... There has got to be a better and easier way to do this. I like the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid). I tried everything I could think of... re-naming the directory, deleting the directory etc... repairing, re-installing and nothing worked. All because of a hidden file.
At first I thought it may have been because I run two external 23" monitors from my laptop which I only use as the server/drive. Then I thought it maybe because I have an old HDD hooked up as a backup so I can access older files, and also am running a 1TB mirror drive via a USB hub... and then again maybe it was just me!
Anyway , everything looks good and OpenOffice seems to be working again! Mucho Gratias.
Dick Wedge