[Solved] Set up recent files list of AOO docs on my taskbar

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
balanceact

[Solved] Set up recent files list of AOO docs on my taskbar

Post by balanceact »

Hi There,

I've moved an OO link to my taskbar, but unlike Microsoft's Word, when I right click on it to get a list of recent documents I only get two documents and these are not the last ones I've used. Word would show the last 12 opened documents. Is there some way to set up something similar in Open Office Documents?

Thanks, balanceact
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Window 7 Pro
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: How to set up a recent files list of OO docs on my taskb

Post by Zizi64 »

File - Recent documents (inside the AOO application)

or from the Start menu (here is a LibreOffice example):
Recent documents.png
Last edited by Zizi64 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
balanceact

Post by balanceact »

Thanks Zizi for pointing out a way to get to Recents within the AOO program; this helps a little but not quite what I would like. I have to open a blank document first, and then go to File, and then click on Recents and then click of the file I want. I'm looking for something quicker, an icon I can set on the taskbar, just right click on that and get a list of Recent Documents.

Also this method only allows you to erase ALL THE RECENT DOCUMENTS, not just one at a time.

Maybe AOO 4.1.3 doesn't offer this quick method like Word does.. :-((
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I have to open a blank document first, and then go to File, and then click on Recents and then click of the file I want.
It is enough to launch the soffice.exe (from the ProgramFiles(x86) directory), not needed to start a specific application.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
balanceact

Post by balanceact »

Zizi,,

I appreciate your efforts, but either I'm not following your suggestion correctly or it doesn't work on my Win7Pro 64bit system. I have to open the "writer" application before I can pop open a link that lets me look at the recently opened documents.

This will help, but it involves 3 steps instead of 1.

When I right click on the AOO icon on my taskbar, it gives me 2 files that I've opened recently and I've opened dozens. It should list the last 10-12 not 2, but it does not. When I'm in an open AOO document the Recent Documents under the Files tab lists 10 documents.

Nice city Budapest.. Wish I had more than a few days to visit there.

balanceact
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

When you start AOO with the soffice command - or the seagulls icon - you should see something very like this:
apache-openoffice-4_0.png
If you click on the down arrow next to the Open... link you should see a list of up to 10 (I think) of your most recently used files. If you need more than 10 try the History Manager extension.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

To get a display of recent documents, like Zizi showed im his original reply, you have to open the document from Windows Explorer, not from within Open Office.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

When I right click on the AOO icon on my taskbar, it gives me 2 files that I've opened recently and I've opened dozens. It should list the last 10-12 not 2, but it does not. When I'm in an open AOO document the Recent Documents under the Files tab lists 10 documents.
Yes, the item count of the "outside" recent list and the "inside" recent list may be are different.
You can adjust the item count of the recent list inside the applications by some tricks:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78982&p=362568

But I do not know how you can change the item count of recent list of the Windows explorer.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

balanceact wrote:Hi There,

I've moved an OO link to my taskbar, but unlike Microsoft's Word, when I right click on it to get a list of recent documents I only get two documents and these are not the last ones I've used.
I've also pinned the soffice application to my taskbar and it somehow works. I can pin specific documents but the recent list is rather weird. Some are indeed recent opened files, some are not that recent. In fact, I just made some tests and I found out what happens: the pinned recent list is built by Windows based on the documents opened from the Explorer only! I usually open the files from CubicExplorer, thus, it's not the standard file explorer and when I do that the list is not updated at all. Same if you open a file from the AOO recent list.

So if you want the list to update, only open the files from the Windows Explorer.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
balanceact

Post by balanceact »

Sorry to all that I've been away from this problem for a couple of days. I appreciate all the efforts to help me with it.

Zizi - Your link to help manage the recents history ends in a dead end. http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... toryMaster When I try to download the main link to the right it has closed. http://www.sfr.fr/fermeture-des-pages-perso.html The other links below look to work with much earlier versions of AOO.

It is very time consuming to open AOO from Windows Explorer..

Robleyd - Your suggestion basically works but I can't manage the recent history, eliminate an individual recent link, I'd have to eliminate them all. Still, this helps, but so far not as good as MS Office/Word.

Does someone have a working download to manage the "recents history" that works with AOO 4.1.3?

Thanks, balanceact
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Zizi - Your link to help manage the recents history ends in a dead end.
Sorry, I have tried it in the past only...

But...:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... toryMaster
There is a link on the Extensions page (in the Forum part, below):
https://cloud.openmailbox.org/index.php ... WF9GBzHUdq

You can download the version 1.1.1 from that link.

Install it by the Extension Manager.
Usage: Tools - Add-Ons - ...

It works for me fine.
balanceact

Post by balanceact »

Zizi - I tried to download the file you suggested. My AOO said it already had that file, but when I clicked, Check for updates, it found one so I downloaded that.

How do I open the History Manager?

I appreciate your dedicated efforts!!

balanceact
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

balanceact wrote:Robleyd - Your suggestion basically works but I can't manage the recent history, eliminate an individual recent link, I'd have to eliminate them all.
You can't delete specific entries of the recent documents list.
Well, you could. But it means that you've to edit the registrymodifications.xcu file that is in your user profile. See: [Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile. There is a section in that file that lists the recent documents, just delete the entries you don't want. Make sure you make a copy of the file just in case.

For the extension, you can try to remove it, restart AOO and reinstall the latest downloaded. Then you may have a menu in the Tools>Add-ons section if it installs this kind of menu.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

How do I open the History Manager?
Have you downloaded and istalled it with the Extension Manager of the AOO?
If the answer is YES, then must fully restart the AOO (or restart the PC).

You can launch the Extension Maneger by clicking on the menu item: Tools - Add-Ons - History Manager.
balanceact

[SOLVED] How to set up a recent files list in AOO 4.1.3 docs

Post by balanceact »

Zizi, your relentless!! And I mean that in a good way.

Thanks for not giving up on me!

To the extent that AOO can currently handle the Recents History, I've now understand how to do it.
It's not as smooth or quick as MS Office/Word, but it will work.

Thanks again, Balanceact