How to restore file association with AOO?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
OOO1

How to restore file association with AOO?

Post by OOO1 »

I've had versions of OpenOffice for years now and currently running Apache 4.1.3
I've use OO for all my documents on this windows 7
Recently I was annoyed Adobe wanted to charge me for filling in a document. I tried opening same *.pdf in other formats and none worked then reinstalled OO 3.1... and that did not work. Went back to 4.1.3 now when given option to open with I don't see OO 4.1.3
Having that option to open all *pdf and *odt files would be a good start to end this problem.
option to open all *.pdf's is sumatra. I know how sumatra got there but where to replace or add OO 4.1.3 to those options.
Thanks

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
Openoffice 4.1.3 on windows 7 using firefox
Hagar Delest

Re: something went wrong

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you right click the file in the Explorer and then go to the Properties, you should have a button to change the application to be used for opening this kind of file.
But honestly, AOO is not the best tool. There are plenty of alternatives.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
OOO1

Re: How to restore file association with AOO?

Post by OOO1 »

I was able to get rid of SumatraPDF as default except now I have Adobe and not apache opening files.
I still do not seeing in Open with choice OO M.1.3
Now another problem. Can't find internet explorer for opening link to USPTO. I'm thinking Java does not work in this newer version of Firefox 52
OOO1

Post by OOO1 »

Well, I got my internet explorer back version 11 for my windows 7 so I can get to USPTO.
Now how to add OO 4.1.3 to choice to open with.
I went to a folder I store envelopes for friends all in *.odt format. When I click on a friends name file opens in OO and little icon is white blue to left of friends name. On desktop I have files maybe that can't be opened in OO because they are PDF files from Adobe.
Could that be reason, OO does not open newer downloaded PDF's
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

AOO is not a choice for opening PDF files because AOO can't open PDF files. You can manually set the file association, but AOO still won't open the PDF files. You should associate PDF files with a PDF reader like SumatraPDF, Adobe Acrobat Reader or one of the many other available PDF readers.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
OOO1

Post by OOO1 »

SumatraPDF did not let me fill in a form. I was trying to get away from Adobe as my default reader.
Thanks
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Try NitroPDF if you need to fill in forms. It works for me. AOO will never open PDF files to allow you to fill in forms.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
OOO1

Post by OOO1 »

Thanks