Printing

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
WTF-or-bust

Printing

Post by WTF-or-bust »

Printing. I used to be able to print. Open Office recognizes the printer. But nada. Other apps print OK. Open Office is the only one I can't get to print. :alarm:
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Printing

Post by jrkrideau »

What changes, if any, have you made to your system. Any upgrades or new installations?

Were you printing with Windows 10?

Same printer?

Same printer software?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
WTF-or-bust

Post by WTF-or-bust »

Best of my knowledge, no changes.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Have you tried several OpenOffice applications? Is the problem isolated to one of them or does it happen with all?

See the application specific print settings.
  • Menu item Tools - Options
    When the OpenOffice branch is expanded in the left pane, you see a Print element there. This is not what you are looking for.
  • Expand the application specific branch (Writer or Calc) and select the Print item there
  • Look for settings that disable printing.
    In Calc, when "Suppress output of empty pages" is ticked nothing will print unless there is content in the cells. When you try to print a nicely formatted cell grid with no content, you will print nothing.
    In Writer, check that both left and right page printing is enabled.
Also see the Options tab in the print dialog. Is "print to file" ticked? Untick!
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
WTF-or-bust

Post by WTF-or-bust »

OK, here's a wrinkle. The printer queue shows output from OpenOffice apps. They show in the queue for about 1 second, but never make it to the printer. This is true for Writer and Calc. Yet I have trouble blaming Windows because other apps, like Adobe reader can print. So, if I export from Open Office to PDF, open the file in Adobe Reader, I can print it from there. And I can print from Open Office on other computers on the network. :crazy:
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It might be worth trying to un-install and re-install the printer and driver(s) on the offending computer.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

I sometimes get this when I use a generic (or simply wrong) driver. Some HP printers do not work well with the HP universal print driver. Others must use different drivers depending on firmware updates (supported PCL version). Different applications may use different control features to communicate with the printer, so this can easily look like a software issue when it is in fact the driver that needs attention.

When a print job fails, is there (momentarily) any blinking lamps on the printer, or a message (e.g. "invalid personality") on the front panel?
Does the printer lock up (requiring a reset) or do other jobs print without problem after a failed job?
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10