[Solved] Installing older versions of OO w/o deleting newer

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
RKA

[Solved] Installing older versions of OO w/o deleting newer

Post by RKA »

Is there a way to install older versions of OO without deleting newer versions on the same computer?

I have OO Apache 4.1.1 and want to download and use 3.2.0, but if I recall correctly, they overwrite each other on installation.

Can someone advise on how to do this, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

PS - I'm using Windows 7/64 bit if that matters.
Last edited by RKA on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 7 Home on Toshiba Satellite L505
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Installing older versions of OO w/out deleting newer one

Post by Zizi64 »

The simpliest way is: install portable version/s/ od the AOO or LO. Portable versions available for Windows op. sys.

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/lib ... e_portable
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Perhaps log on to Windows as a different User and install OO 3.2.0 for that User. You may have to give the new User rights to see/edit your existing OO document.

Another way, which I mention merely because it occurs to me, is allow the footnote numbering to be sequential in the document, then to extract content.xml from the .odt file and postprocess it using BASIC or some other language to ascertain the footnote numbers in each chapter, then do simple arithmetic and text substitution to adjust the numbering. That finished, reinsert content.xml into the .odt file (NOTE: use a copy file in case of disaster!). This need not involve using the complexities of OO BASIC and the UNO structures - it could be a simple text processing problem. I'm thinking of a book I read years ago (circa 40) "Macro Processors", by P.J. Brown.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RKA

Post by RKA »

Zizi64: By portable do you mean mobile versions? Like for a tablet as opposed to a PC? I looked at the second link you gave and I only see the OO/A 4.1.3, not the older version. Does that mean install the portable version on a CD rom or thumb drive and then D/L the older version to the hard drive?

Rory: Logging on as a guest user sounds like a TERRIFIC idea. I will try it and hope it works. I can just copy and save the doc onto a USB drive and transfer it over for what I need if this solution works...

As for the eternal ongoing footnotes/endnotes consecutive numbering problem, unfortunately your suggestion is lost on me because I have no programming skills and have no clue or idea how to do what you suggest. Therefore, I hope the first solution you gave (use another logon with the older version) will work.

Thanks to you both! I will mark this solved after I have a chance to try the solution...
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Zizi64: By portable do you mean mobile versions?
Not. Portable wersions are for Windows operating system (even for laptops or PC-s. You can run it from a thumbdrive, from a portable (USB) HDD, or - of course - from a built-in HDD too. ) The tablet (android) version of the LO has limited capability yet.
The differences between the fixed installation and the portable version are:
- The portable version will not delete/uninstall any previous installed versions,
- and the settings (and the user profile) will be stored in the Program directory (instead of the 'Users' directory of the Windows)
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

You can download the older LO versions (included the Portable versions) from this site:
http://downloadarchive.documentfoundati ... ffice/old/

And the older OO.o, AOO versions:
https://www.openoffice.org/download/archive.html
RKA

Post by RKA »

Thanks for the clarification...I will try both solutions. :)