Can't install OO 4.1.3 on Windows 10

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
MiketheWise

Can't install OO 4.1.3 on Windows 10

Post by MiketheWise »

I am trying to install OO 4.1.3 onto a Windows 10 laptop. I get the error "Secure Connection Failed, The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."

I've tried different mirrors, and the error pops up at about the same place every time. I'm not familiar with Windows 10, and don't know how to adjust security settings, if in fact that's where the problem lies.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Can't install OO 4.1.3 on Windows 10

Post by RusselB »

There are several places where the connection could be breaking, most of them are beyond your capability to to anything about.
My first suggestion is to try a wired connection, as most laptops default to using a Wifi connection, which is not as fast or as secure (though security for wifi connections has been improving) as a wired connection.
If you have the same problem, or if this is not an option, then my next suggestion is to get onto a computer that has a wired connection and download the installation files (the .exe that is downloaded contains all of the required installation files), then copy/move them to a thumb/flash drive. From there the drive can be moved to the laptop and the installation run from that drive.
NB: Ensure that the computer you are using for the download is running a version of Windows (doesn't really matter which version) or that the Windows version is selected in the download section of http://www.openoffice.org/download
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
keme
Volunteer

Re: Can't install OO 4.1.3 on Windows 10

Post by keme »

A few things to try:
  • Make sure you are downloading from a legitimate site. Use the link in RussellB's posting above. Do not blindly accept the top entry from a search.
    I just checked. At the time of this writing, Google will return a link to the authentic download page on top, but the Bing search engine will take you to a rogue site. The browsers bundled with Windows 10 (Edge and Internet Explorer) will both default to a Bing search.
  • Check that your PC has clock time and date, as well as time zone, correctly set. If you are off by an hour or more, a secure connection will most likely be deemed invalid by the system.
  • Some third party security software have had issues with OpenOffice downloads.
    In particular, I have seen this with Symantec, Webroot and McAfee. They have support available which will rectify any such false positives, but for that you need a paid subscription.
    Make absolutely sure that you are accessing the download from the site mentioned above, then try to temporarily disable security software while downloading.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10