[Solved] Can't search for text in multiple .odt files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
sseitel

[Solved] Can't search for text in multiple .odt files

Post by sseitel »

(SOLVED) :bravo: Hello, I hope someone can help me. I'm trying to use Windows Search to find specific text strings in a large collection of .odt files dating back 12 years to present. Most of these files began life with an .ott template. Windows Search comes up blank whether I type the text string into the global search pane or into the Windows Explorer search pane.

If I convert the .odt file to a .doc file, Windows search does find the files containing target text string. The problem seems to be restricted to .odt files.

For the record, if I create completely new .odt files from scratch (ctrl+N), Windows Search happily finds target text in them. The problem seems to be with .odt files created from .ott templates.

I have rebuilt the search index completely (several times)
The search filter for all .od* files is C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\program\shlxthdl\ooofilt.dll
The folder options are set to allow searching on file type and contents (I've tried all the combinations)

Open Office Writer 4.1.1
Win 7 pro, SP1, 32 bit, 2 GB RAM

Anybody have any ideas? I will listen carefully to whatever you can offer. Thanks in advance,

Steve
Last edited by sseitel on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SteveS
Open Office 4.1.1
Win 7 pro SP1 32 bit
RusselB

Re: Can't search for text in multiple .odt files

Post by RusselB »

At least part of the problem is the method used for storing the information that creates the .ods (.odt, .odp, .odg, .odb, etc.) file.
These are compressed files, and use a compression method that is similar to that of a .zip file
There have been plenty of posts, usually regarding data loss (ie: File is all ########) where one (or more) suggestions is to rename the .od? file as a .zip and then extract the contents.xml file, which is where the actual data is stored.

The fact that you have noticed that the problem seems to be related to files created via a template suggests that the template is adding additional information, therefore making the data not match what you are searching for.
This kind of information can be non-printable or even appear to be hidden.

I'd suggest checking to see if you can search inside compressed files using the Windows Search.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The use of a template to create a file shouldn't make any difference to Windows Search. I can't reproduce any difference in searching for files created with or without a template on 64 bit Windows 10. If one file created with a template and one file created without using a template have the same content, then their content.xml files are identical (they have the same SHA-256 checksums). When I use Windows Search on the two files, they both are found by Windows Search. The only thing added to files created using a template is the template name in the meta.xml file and using Windows Search to search for the template name finds only the file created using the template.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

sseitel wrote:If I convert the .odt file to a .doc file, Windows search does find the files containing target text string. The problem seems to be restricted to .odt files.
If you save again an old .odt in a new file, is it indexed afterward? Maybe the compression method has changed.

As a workaround, you can try other applications. Personally, I use DocFetcher, a portable application that is very good, which allows previsualization of the matches.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

sseitel wrote:For the record, if I create completely new .odt files from scratch (ctrl+N), Windows Search happily finds target text in them. The problem seems to be with .odt files created from .ott templates.
How old are the .ott templates? I'm wondering if it could be a compatibility issue with documents created using very old templates or on very old versions of OpenOffice.org. I don't have any .ott templates or .odt documents that go back 12 years.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Might this be a file ownership issue?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
sseitel

Post by sseitel »

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I've been trying your suggestions, so far without success.

1. Folder options are set to search inside compressed files.
2. Saving an unsearchable odt as a new odt does not make it searchable.
3. Copying and pasting the contents of an unsearchable odt into a new, blank odt document does not make it searchable.

4. Good call on template age; that may be it. The ott template is VERY old, and has been scrubbed through several different versions of Windows. It may even have been used with a Linux OS back in the distant past (I forget).

I created a completely new template from scratch and wrote some test documents in it. All are perfectly searchable as to contents. Going forward, I have a solution. That leaves unanswered how to search the older odt files. I haven't tried DocFetcher yet, but I'll do that next.

Again, thank you all for your considerate help.

Steve
SteveS
Open Office 4.1.1
Win 7 pro SP1 32 bit
sseitel

Post by sseitel »

Hot Dog! DocFetcher searches the "unsearchable" odt's without any fuss at all, and it's fast! Terrific suggestion, Hagar, thank you!

Since I now have a way to search the "old" odt files, and Windows search works on "new" odt files, I am happy. It would be of academic interest to understand why Windows Search stumbles over the "old" files, but it's not worth spending more time on. I doubt anybody else will have the same issue, so I'll mark this "Solved."

Thank you all again. I very much appreciate your help.

Steve
SteveS
Open Office 4.1.1
Win 7 pro SP1 32 bit
Flynn MacNiall

Re: [Solved] Can't search for text in multiple .odt files

Post by Flynn MacNiall »

currently dogfetcher does not support odt very well yet someone suggested it for the solution that windows search function within a folder only finds word docs, never finds odt files - weird.
I guess i have to open and convert all odt files to doc files to find the documents i need that are in odt format.
it is a weird world i live in right now.
ODT crashes in most recent version even though i have tried all the fixes suggested so i use an older version just fine, but windows does not like it so bummer in the summer.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Can't search for text in multiple .odt files

Post by Hagar Delest »

Flynn MacNiall wrote:currently dogfetcher does not support odt very well
What do you mean?
I use it on my Windows machine and no problem at all. The preview pane works fine, it highlight the hits as designed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10