[Solved] Why No OpenOffice x64 for Windows?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
LastUnicorn

[Solved] Why No OpenOffice x64 for Windows?

Post by LastUnicorn »

Just curious on this subject. LO does have a 64-bit version, why no OO x64? Does that amount to any difference for the user?
Last edited by LastUnicorn on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
RoryOF

Re: Why No OpenOffice x64?

Post by RoryOF »

Manpower. If it runs OK, why worry? OO has 64 bit version for linux. Until a developer finds the need for a 64 bit Windows version or 32 bit machines become obsolete a 64 bit version is unlikely.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Okay Rory, thanks very much.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
coldwash

Re: [Solved] Why No OpenOffice x64 for Windows?

Post by coldwash »

Ever try using Calc for more than ~60k Columns? Reason enough. Sure you could say "well if your doing that much you should import to a db". Well to me 60k columns isn't that much, thats a relatively small csv file to me, and I am ONLY ever using open office because its easier to import and export with custom delimiters than excel, and if i wanted to hassle with importing to a db rather than just opening and doing a quick filter and sort or something, i would. So the only reason i ever use open office at all, often becomes no reason due to it being 32 bit. This has been the case for well over 10 years, so this whole attitude of, oh well we really don't need 64 bit why bother is just becoming a very negative excuse.
coldwash
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 x64
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

coldwash wrote:Ever try using Calc for more than ~60k Columns? ... This has been the case for well over 10 years, so this whole attitude of, oh well we really don't need 64 bit why bother is just becoming a very negative excuse.
Feature enhancement is about getting the maximum benefit for the maximum number of users with the available, always limited, resource.

How many users want 60k+ columns in a spreadsheet compared with how many users don't?

That being said, I somehow doubt that 60,000 columns is a 32/64 bit limit as 32 bit allows indices up to 4,294,967,296. 16 bit allows indices up to 65,536 so, if 65,536 is the limit in the number of columns, it is likely to be a historical 16 bit limit unless both row number and column number are contained in the same index number.
 Edit: Column number seems to be a memory management problem, where even tiny sheets need to use much more memory if the column number is increased. The fix is to redesign the memory management method for Calc sheets and has nothing to do with 32/64 bit issues.

See the discussion in the LO Bug Report Bug 50916 - Allow more than 1024 columns in calc 
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
swampwiz

Post by swampwiz »

RoryOF wrote:Manpower. If it runs OK, why worry? OO has 64 bit version for linux. Until a developer finds the need for a 64 bit Windows version or 32 bit machines become obsolete a 64 bit version is unlikely.
32 bit machines aren't obsolete now? :knock:
Windows XP Professional, Version 5.1, Service Pack 3
OpenOffice 4.1.2 (perhaps later since swampwiz doesn't provide accurate information here -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

1. Because Windows is an incredibly complex platform beyond all standards compared to all other platforms.
2. At the same time, 64-bit Windows installs and runs 32-bit software effortlessly.
3. A 64-bit OpenOffice is no better than a 32-bit OpenOffice.
---
The only problem with 32-bit OpenOffice on 64-bit Windows comes up when you want to use Java features and you don't know that you have to install a 32-bit Java nor how to do that.
AOO 4.2 for Windows will be availlable in 64 bit.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice