No Default Mail Client Error

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

No Default Mail Client Error

Postby zebratechg1rl » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:27 pm

I have an end user that is running Apache Open Office 4.1.2 on Windows 10 and whenever the end user clicks File> Send>... and selects any of the email options they receive the following error: Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client.

I have gone into Control Panel> Default Programs> Set your default programs> selected Outlook (desktop) and clicked 'Set this program as default'
I have gone into Control Panel> Default Programs>Associate a file type or protocol with a program and confirmed MAILTO is set as Outlook (desktop)

The end user has Outlook 2013 installed on their PC and installing Thunderbird is not an option.
Open Office 4.1.2 on Windows 10
zebratechg1rl

Re: No Default Mail Client Error

Postby robleyd » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:28 am

Does a right click send-to in other applications, e.g. Windows Explorer, behave as expected?

If you check in Outlook, does it show itself as the default mail program? Possibly under File|Options|General|Startup options.

This M$ support article might also be relevant?
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
robleyd

Postby Greengiant224 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Have you checked the settings under Tools>Options>openoffice.org Writer>Mail Merge E-Mail?
You need to enter your email address, server name, port number etc. You can also check that the
program can make a connection using your settings.

IIRC there was a problem using M$ mail clients in particular WLM 2011.

As a work around can you not save the file then add it as an attachment in Outlook 2013?

Other than that a third party email client would need to be installed. You could of course
write a script to access the .net mail functions in c#, vbs, python etc.

Hope this helps.

Greengiant224

Linux 2.6.38, KDE 4.9.2, LibreOffice 3.5.* (Java 1.6.0_35) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.3.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
Greengiant224

Postby zebratechg1rl » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:32 pm

Greengiant224 wrote:Have you checked the settings under Tools>Options>openoffice.org Writer>Mail Merge E-Mail?
You need to enter your email address, server name, port number etc. You can also check that the
program can make a connection using your settings.

Greengiant224

Entered in the required info - tested connection as good. Tried to send a document as an email and still same error, but thank you for the suggestion.

Greengiant224 wrote: As a work around can you not save the file then add it as an attachment in Outlook 2013?
Greengiant224

That is the workaround the user is currently using but is too many extra steps per the user. :roll: And the business has other end users on Windows 7 that are able to email just fine. This end user is the first Windows 10 computer they have and it is the only one giving me fits right now with emailing from within a document. :crazy:

Greengiant224 wrote: You could of course write a script to access the .net mail functions in c#, vbs, python etc.
Greengiant224

Sadly I'm not very good at scripting...might have to bug co-worker for that with a promise of cake for completing the job :twisted:
zebratechg1rl

Postby zebratechg1rl » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:55 pm

robleyd wrote:Does a right click send-to in other applications, e.g. Windows Explorer, behave as expected?

Just tried that and yes it does, so that is an option I can give the end user instead of having to create a new email and attaching the file from there. :D

robleyd wrote:If you check in Outlook, does it show itself as the default mail program? Possibly under File|Options|General|Startup options. ?

Yup - the option is checked.

robleyd wrote:This M$ support article might also be relevant?

I downloaded the fix> ran it and it came up "This easy fix does not apply to your operating system or application version." :roll:
I looked through my notes and found I already tried doing a repair on the Outlook install.
BUT just in case - I followed the steps to do it manually and still same error :cry:
zebratechg1rl

Postby robleyd » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:00 am

A search of this forum turns up few posts re Outlook, but what there is suggests that Outlook and OO may not play nicely together.

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 1&p=310226

Are others you deal with using the Outlook/OO combination successfully?

Maybe others here will be able to comment further.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
robleyd

Postby zebratechg1rl » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:47 pm

robleyd wrote:A search of this forum turns up few posts re Outlook, but what there is suggests that Outlook and OO may not play nicely together.

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 1&p=310226

Are others you deal with using the Outlook/OO combination successfully?

Maybe others here will be able to comment further.

Yes, we have users with LibreOffice and OpenOffice in Windows 7 not having any issues with Outlook 2013.

I found that if you right click on the file in File Explorer> Send To> Mail Recipient it works just fine. Looks like something in Windows 10 and Open Office are not playing nice.
zebratechg1rl

Return to MS Windows