Error message

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
lexmailman

Error message

Post by lexmailman »

New member needs help. Keep getting the error message, " the requested operation requires elevation", when I try to open a spreadsheet that I put on my desktop (shortcut). Any suggestions on how to correct? What does the message mean? Thanks.
Openoffice 4.1.2 on Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Re: Error message

Post by RoryOF »

I can't help with a certain solution as I don't use Windows, but I know this is a Windows message, not an OpenOffice message.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

It means that you need higher privileges than the system grants you by default, and there is no automated solution for determining and granting the additional privileges required. This may happen e.g. if a guest user tries to edit desktop content, a user tries to edit a file owned by a different user, or an ordinary user tries to run a system operation reserved for administrators. Sometimes you can solve it by right-clicking and select "run as administrator".
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
jcarlock

Post by jcarlock »

The problems occur with Windows 8.1 (2015 and later)

"The requested operation requires elevation."
"Windows cannot access the secified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Trying to open, edit, create files with swriter.exe.
James Carlock
OpenOffice v413
Windows 8.1
Forumnewbie

Post by Forumnewbie »

I've had this issue from the day I bought my latest laptop (3 years ago).
Finally got jack of it and opened this folder to find out that it isn't an OO problem.
So disappointed, was hoping for an easy fix.
Having said that, I did find one.

Right click on the OO shortcut on your desktop, click properties, right click on target and "copy" complete path.
Now right click on the file you wish to open, "open with", now here is where Open Office should be listed. If it isn't, "choose default program" "more options" etc until you get a search box - right click on the search box and "paste" the target line you copied earlier.
Problem solved as all your OO files in the various folders should now show the OO logo and will now automatically open with OO.

Hope this helps.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 8.1
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

@Forumnewbie: If AOO didn't appear on the programs list, then the file type was associated with a different program or no program at all. That's possibly an incomplete installation.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Forumnewbie

Post by Forumnewbie »

Thank you @Bill.
I thought so too until I tried my fix above. Now everything just works as it had on previous installations on other machines.
Funnily enough AOO now appears on the programs list (options).
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

AOO appears on the list now because you manually added the .exe file to the list. In a normal installation, that isn't necessary. As part of the installation process AOO adds the keys to the Windows Registry that make AOO appear on the list.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Forumnewbie

Post by Forumnewbie »

Thanks @Bill.
How do I check if the installation is complete or not.
I have notices that the logo on my desktop is no longer the AOO logo but a blank page.
Also I've downloaded (and supposedly installed) 4.1.5 only to indicate that my version is 4.1.3

I also receive requests to update the latest Beta test.
I do not have an IT savvy bone in my body so am getting a bit confused about what to do with this and possibly it also may be the reason I cannot seem to get a complete install.

TIA for your help