Problems installing 4.1.2

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Phil_S

Problems installing 4.1.2

Post by Phil_S »

Hello,

I have been using 4.1.1 for some time and decided to upgrade to 4.1.2
I downloaded the files from Sourceforge for Windows 7 (Professional, 64-bit version) and ran the installer
The procedure went through all the unpacking etc until the last stage, it might have been "Install", when I got an error message advising me to quit OpenOffice Quickstart 4.1.2 or OpenOffice 4.1.2, or another user was using 4.1.2
I have 4.1.2 sucessfully installed on another identical PC, but the installation is not shared to my knowledge.
On the PC which would not install, Control Panel>Programs shows 4.1.1 (specically 4.11.9775) installed.
As far as I am aware, OpenOffice is not running anywhere, does not show in Task Manager.
I normally open the application from the shortcut icon that points to soffice.exe.
Any ideas, please
Thanks
Phil_S
Open Office 4.1.0 running on Windows Professional 64-bit
RoryOF

Re: Problems installing 4.1.2

Post by RoryOF »

I'm years out of touch with Windows, but I remember that on the bottom of the TaskManager window there may be "Show processes for all users" link. If so, press this and stop any "soffice" processes it reveals.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Shutdown and reboot your machine. Then try the install.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Was reboot still advised after RoryOF suggestion? "soffice" was ended.
I will try rebooting tomorrow as PC busy right now
Thanks
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

After deleting any soffice process in TaskManager, do not reboot before attempting to install OpenOffice, as a restart may also restart an OpenOffice Quickstarter process ad you'll be back where you started.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Hello
Looks like one of my replies has gone astray
I did find and ended two processes "soffice.bin" and "soffice.exe"
Tried reinstalling 4.1.2, but ended up with the same error.
On the PC that is running 4.1.2 OK, there is no sign of soffice
No sign either on the PC where it won't install.
Cheers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Start OpenOffice. Select Tools > Options > Memory and uncheck the "Load OpenOffice during system start-up" option. Close OpenOffice and restart the computer, then try installing AOO 4.1.2.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Hello
Thanks for all the suggestions so far
Checked the settings for Memory>Quickstart, but this was already unchecked, as is on the working 4.1.2.
On starting the 4.1.1 version, "upgrades available" appears" as it did before, "soffice" processes are back.
I wonder why the error refers to quitting 4.1.2 when it has not been successfuly installed?
The PC has not been rebooted. First time this problem has appeared.
Attached is image of error message

Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Missing image
I hope
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There it is, then. OpenOffice Install thinks (knows?) that a copy of OpenOffice is running. You need to find it. It could be some error in the Windows Registry, but more likely that there is a copy running under another user's name or at administrative level.

The drastic cure is to use Revo Uninstaller at its most aggressive to uninstall all versions of OpenOffice (verify by hand that there is no OO user profile left) and then install OO. I stress that this is a drastic cure and don't advise it unless you are happy to cope with possible side effects which may damage other programs or even Windows itself.
 Edit: You could try Process Explorer from the Sysinternals site. This is effectively a more powerful version of TaskManager. 
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Hello all
RoryOF
I've scoured all the processes, applications, been through Explorer and nothing like 4.1.2 is running
I found an OpenOffice installer file from October last year, about the same time as I installed on the second PC. I would have tried it out but can't remember the outcome.
The PC's are identical so I can only conclude that one installation was OK and the other not so.
I'm not au fait with the complexities of registries etc. and having had to have Win 7 repaired once with all the grief that entailed, I'm going to leave well alone
4.1.1 is the only program listed in Win Control Panel and I guess it has an option to uninstall.
As I have a wioring version of 4.1.2 on one PC, I will use that if necessary, and stick with 4.1.1 on the other.
Apart from some minor quirks, 4.1.1 does all that I want
Thanks for your efforts and suggestions - if you get a brainwave in the future, let me know.
Phil_S
stevenm

Post by stevenm »

Im experiencing the same isssues

I have tried to upgrade on a Windows 7 Pro machine from 4.1.3 to 4.1.5

I've gone through system services, proccesses ( including the all user processes) task's etc and to no avail I cannot find what is running thats frustrating the updater. and yes the on start up is unchecked.

How would I debug / register what the updater is detecting as running ? its impossible without pulling apart the updater source ?

I'll sit back for a while before attempting an uninstall or stick with 4.1.3.
Open Office 4.x on Windows 7 Pro / Imac / Windows
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Hello
I never did get this sorted so regretfully gave up with AOO.
I'm surprised you're still with Win 7 (an aside) - after the dismal Vista etc., Win 10, apart from the updates, isn't half bad, but I still wouldn't touch the inner workings with a bargepole.
I have the other free "Office" suite as well which has been trouble free, but only used on a Linux PC. If you have 4.1.3 working, I would stay with it unless you have an expendable PC to experiment with.
My latest attempt to upgrade Firefox and Chrome on a Linux laptop have largely rendered it useless, so now looking at a full reinstall of the OS.
Life's too short. Relieved to see that I'm not the only one with the upgrades.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Just out of interest, I got 4.1.2 running on the PC where I could upgrade from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 and had a look for updates under the HELP menu.
Returned messages "Checking for an update failed." and "Error reading data from the Internet.Server error message: "
My internet is fine, sort of says it all. So stuck on 4.1.2 and 4.1.1