[Solved] Windows 10 string text search problem

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
zolw

[Solved] Windows 10 string text search problem

Post by zolw »

I recently updated system from windows 8 to 10 and found, that W10 can't search inside OO documents (especially .odt) files for text string. .doc or rtf documents works perfectly fine in same directory. Folder is indexed, odt file types are selected to be indexed with properties and content, folder is selected to allow all types of search.

I googled everything but most of issuses and resolves are outdated and belong to windows 7 (which searched like a dream for me, same 8). Couldn't find anything fresh for windows 10.
Last edited by zolw on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 10 64bit
RoryOF

Re: Windows 10 string text search problem

Post by RoryOF »

When a similar problem arose before (earlier versions of Windows), the solution was to use a utility such as Copernic which could search inside zipped archives, which OpenOffice format files are in fact. It may be possible to tell W10 search that OpenOffice file formats are zipped archhives, if W10 search knows how to search within these.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Like Windows 8, Windows 10 comes with an iFilter for .odt files and can search in them out-of-the-box. There's no need to tell Windows 10 that the files are zipped archives. When you install OpenOffice, that filter is replaced with one from OpenOffice which works fine for plain text in the document, but has problems in some situations (for one, tabs aren't recognized properly and words separated by tabs will be concatenated in the index). Search in Windows 10 does search for text in my .odt files (using the Search box in File Explorer, not the Search box on the Taskbar)..

If indexing is actually finished, try creating a new document with dummy text or editing an existing document. Save the document and wait a minute for the document to be indexed. If Search can find text in the newly saved document, then documents are being indexed properly upon saving and you may need to rebuild the index to get the old files indexed.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
zolw

Post by zolw »

unfortunately, its not working. Im sure folders are indexed, odt files are checked for indexing in content. no results in content for any odt or other aOO documents. RTF and Doc works ok. Before upgrade to w10 from 8.1 everything was working fine. I tried to reinstall aOO, thinking that w10 altered previous iFilters, but problem still presist. I even tried install MS filters but w10 isnt supported and it only caused windows search to stop working at all.

I cant belive im the only one with such issue. For me content search is a must.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 10 64bit
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It may be a glitch in the upgrade process. I've installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview on a second hard drive (not an upgrade) and I can still search for contents in odt files even before installing AOO.
zolw

Post by zolw »

Suddenly it start working today. Didn't do anything. The only guess it something was fixed in last windows update...

Or Cortana is secretly listening to problems and was thinking about it for last few days :D

Thanks anyway!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 10 64bit
Flynn MacNiall

Re: [Solved] Windows 10 string text search problem

Post by Flynn MacNiall »

I am, right now as we speak, trying to search for a word, or words, within ODT Writer and windows draws a blank with that search, it does come up with lots of hits in the MS Word Docs, but nothing, zero, zilch in my .odt files. And dogfetch does not even recognize the file type when i try to index a folder with odt files in it. Bummer.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Open Indexing Options in Windows. Is Indexing complete? Open the Advanced options, click the File Types tab and select the odt file type. Is the check box checked? is the ODF File Format Filter shown for the odt file type? If you type a new document, save and close it, does Windows Search find the file? My new and edited odt files are usually indexed and searchable within ten seconds after closing the document .
PeterNO

Post by PeterNO »

It is now 2018, and Windows 10 will not display 00 files in Windows File Explorer on search for text string. Are there any new developments on this? :oops:
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Flynn MacNiall

Post by Flynn MacNiall »

I found that i could use a program called "loook" (German i think) but to use it i had to also download Python, they both work outside of windows with a "Dos" program (i think) for me this goes waaaay back to my earliest days with P.C.s, something i did struggle with anything but the most simple.But this worked really well
The other thing i did was use my old laptop with still has Windows XP as the system and it worked just fine with ODT files.

mp
PeterNO

Post by PeterNO »

Thanks, very much. Just spent $25 on Copernic. Oh, well. Gotta get work done.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Flynn MacNiall

Post by Flynn MacNiall »

Amen to getting work done.

Keep on Keeping ON.

mp
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

PeterNO wrote:It is now 2018, and Windows 10 will not display 00 files in Windows File Explorer on search for text string. Are there any new developments on this? :oops:
It's always worked for me in Windows 10. There is a problem with your system, not Windows 10 or OpenOffice.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Docfetcher works fine also. Quite plain compared to Copernic but portable, free and does the job.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Flynn MacNiall

Post by Flynn MacNiall »

I love that response most of all - when nothing works and the tech says
It is not us it is you, your system. (Especially when you say many others who seem to have the same trouble).
Thanks for the help i think, thanks for your good advices.

LOL
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Flynn MacNiall wrote:I love that response most of all - when nothing works and the tech says
It is not us it is you, your system.
This is a user support forum, not tech support. I am a user of OpenOffice, not a tech. My statement is based on my experience with Windows Search and ODF file formats.

Just to be sure that there wasn't a problem introduced with AOO 4.1.5, I deleted the search index on my Windows 10 system and rebuilt it then tried searching for content in ODF files. It worked. The content of my ODF files had been indexed. I stand by my earlier statement. If others have a problem with Windows Search and ODF files, then they need to examine their system to find the cause. No one here can do it for them.
StiggB

Post by StiggB »

My Win 10 search wasn't bringing back any results from .ods files so I uninstalled MS Office hoping that would fix the search, but it didn't. I then reinstalled OpenOffice over the top of my existing installation and now the search is returning .ods results. However, it currently isn't bringing back files I saved today in the results, but I'll keep testing and will update if I get new results.
AOO 4.1.7 / Win 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In Find and Replace window, on a file where Find and Replace is not working, try dropping the More Options dropdown and make sure Regular Expressions is not checked. Check also settings for Mach Case and Whole Words only. Best to start with all options unchecked. Also, on More Options, verify that nothing is checked on the attributes button, and that No Format is selected. In other words, verify that everything is turned off. Then, if F&R starts working, you can gradually select desired options.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

StiggB wrote:However, it currently isn't bringing back files I saved today in the results, but I'll keep testing and will update if I get new results.
Were the files saved before or after reinstalling OpenOffice? When I was using Windows 10, the index was updated immediately after saving files.