[Solved] Fuzzy / blurry appearance on Windows 8.1

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

[Solved] Fuzzy / blurry appearance on Windows 8.1

Postby BurleighBill » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:59 am

New laptop running Windows 8.1.

Downloaded latest version of Open Office 4.0.1 and got it configured. I noticed on OO and some of the other programs I've installed that they appear blurry or fuzzy in appearance. I searched these forums and did not find a solution. Suggestions to turn off hardware acceleration and other view options did not work.

Elsewhere online I found discussions of dpi scaling. On newer higher resolution monitors, some applications which are not "dpi aware" apparently don't work well with this technique.

The solution was to find the soffice.exe file in the File Explorer. In my case the default installation location was c:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.exe. Right click the file, choose Properties, select the Compatibility tab, and check the box to "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings." Now Open Office is super crisp!

This did the trick for my installation of Open Office. I used this same method on other applications, including Notepad++.
Open Office 3.2.0. Windows XP.
BurleighBill

Re: [Solved] Fuzzy / blurry appearance on Windows 8.1

Postby m8ke » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:04 am

BurleighBill wrote:New laptop running Windows 8.1.

Downloaded latest version of Open Office 4.0.1 and got it configured. I noticed on OO and some of the other programs I've installed that they appear blurry or fuzzy in appearance. I searched these forums and did not find a solution. Suggestions to turn off hardware acceleration and other view options did not work.

Elsewhere online I found discussions of dpi scaling. On newer higher resolution monitors, some applications which are not "dpi aware" apparently don't work well with this technique.

The solution was to find the soffice.exe file in the File Explorer. In my case the default installation location was c:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.exe. Right click the file, choose Properties, select the Compatibility tab, and check the box to "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings." Now Open Office is super crisp!

This did the trick for my installation of Open Office. I used this same method on other applications, including Notepad++.

Thanks, Bill. I just found your solution when trying to figure out what happened with my Win 8.1 installation. The power of the internet!
Open Office 3.2.0.
m8ke

Postby skebo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:45 am

This did the trick for me too. Thanks to BurleighBill for posting the original solution and m8ke for the bump. Also thanks to AOO forums for having a search function that actually works.
OpenOffice 4.01 on Windows 8.1
skebo

Postby Mamagistra » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:19 pm

This worked perfectly for me, too, after my installation of Windows 10 blurred things up. Thanks so much! :)

Debra in TX
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
Mamagistra

Postby jperasso » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:32 pm

I can't find a compatibility tab in windows 10 on soffice file. I have the same fuzzy problem
Open Office 4.1.1, Windows 10
jperasso

Postby Bill » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:43 pm

Are you looking on the Properties dialog for the soffice.exe file? The Compatibility tab should be there.
AOO 4.1.5 and LO 6.0.3.2 on Manjaro MATE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby jperasso » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:32 pm

well, I installed 4.1.2 and now I see it. it works!! Not sure if I just missed it before... don't see how I could, but who knows. thanks.
Open Office 4.1.1, Windows 10
jperasso

Postby jabarac » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:57 am

Worked like a charm for me on Win10. Thanks!!
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
jabarac

Re: Resolved: [Solved] Fuzzy / blurry appearance on Windows

Postby GBS » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:23 am

Thanks jabarac. FIXED. for Win 10
Program Files (x86), Open Office 4, Program, find Soffice, Right Click Properties, Compatibility, Change DPI Scaling Override, Put a tick in the box Override High DPI Scaling. Ok, Apply, Ok. All done. Thank you to everyone in the forum. :D
OpenOffice 4.15 on Windows 10
GBS

Return to MS Windows