[Solved] OO 4.0.1 can't find Java

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
haroldland

[Solved] OO 4.0.1 can't find Java

Post by haroldland »

Just joined this community, I'm an experienced computer user, but I don't know nothin about command lines.

I have used OO 3.2 for years, just installed 4.01 and tried to open a Base file and AOO can't find Java.
So after reading many forum threads, I downloaded new jre ver 1.7.0_45 with default settings, went to AOO Tools - options - open office - java
But when I point to C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin
I get the error mssg "the folder you selected does not contain a java runtime environment..."
(To me it looks like Java is here C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe
is that the right .exe file?, anyway I think all the exe files are there)
So then I went to MS website to downloaded Visual C++ 2010 (I cannot find a SP1 ) and there are 3 diff files there which one (s) do I need? I installed vcredist_x86.exe
Do I have to reboot to make it work?
Does Firefox's auto blocking of Java affect this?

regards
haroldland
Last edited by haroldland on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice4.01 Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit
FJCC

Re: OO 4.01 can't find Java

Post by FJCC »

You shouldn't have to manually point to the jre, at least I never have. I go to Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> Java and click Use a Java Runtime Environment. After waiting several seconds, a list of available environments appears and I click the radio button next to the one I want and then click OK. I believe you have to restart OpenOffice after that..
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
haroldland

Post by haroldland »

Sorry that didn't work
" Use a Java Runtime Environment" was already selected, I unselected & re-selected it, waited 2 minutes and nothing.
Greengiant224

Post by Greengiant224 »

haroldland:
But when I point to C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin
I get the error mssg "the folder you selected does not contain a java runtime environment..."
(To me it looks like Java is here C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe
is that the right .exe file?, anyway I think all the exe files are there)
From your signature you are using Win7 64bit.
AOO/LO are 32bit programs/applications and you need to use a 32bit Java to fully interact.

Does this link help?:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60221#p267331

Greengiant224

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
haroldland

Post by haroldland »

Thank you for the help but I still get the same error message.
I went to the Microsoft link you gave in the other thread & got the file
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)",
installed it, rebooted, but it is the same one I already had
vcredist_x86.exe.
But control panel Programs & Features does not call it SP1
"Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219"
& there are also several 2005 & 2008 versions listed.

As for Java I checked their downloads page and I do have the 32bit version,
jre-7u45-windows-i586.exe
it is located in C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\
not in ..Program Files (x86)\ .
Maybe if I just move it to ...(x86)?
All the exe files are a in a subfolder
C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin

When I point OO to that folder I get the error message "the folder you selected does not contain a java runtime environment..."
Can anyone tell me the name of the exe file for the java runtime?
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

My OpenOffice Java points to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.7.0_25
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

haroldland wrote:Thank you for the help but I still get the same error message.
I went to the Microsoft link you gave in the other thread & got the file
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)",
installed it, rebooted, but it is the same one I already had
vcredist_x86.exe.
But control panel Programs & Features does not call it SP1
"Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219"
& there are also several 2005 & 2008 versions listed.
The absence of the 2010 version of the redistributable does not prevent AOO from detecting jre7. However, if the 2010 version isn't installed, AOO won't be able to run jre7. If the 2010 version isn't listed in Programs and Features, you must run the downloaded vcredist_x86.exe to install the 2010 version. AOO provides a version of vcredist_x86.exe that installs the 2008 redistributable. It does not provide a version of vcredist_x86.exe that installs the 2010 redistributable.
haroldland wrote:As for Java I checked their downloads page and I do have the 32bit version,
jre-7u45-windows-i586.exe
it is located in C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\
not in ..Program Files (x86)\ .
Maybe if I just move it to ...(x86)?
All the exe files are a in a subfolder
C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin

When I point OO to that folder I get the error message "the folder you selected does not contain a java runtime environment..."
That's because the jre is 64-bit, not 32-bit. Windows installs 32-bit jre7 in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7 and installs 64-bit jre7 in C:\Program Files\Java\jre7.

Do not move the files from Program Files to Program Files (x86). You can download the 32-bit installer from java.com

Java Downloads for All Operating Systems
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
haroldland

Post by haroldland »

Thank you FJCC, there is no file named ...jre... in my x86\java folder.
Bill wrote
That's because the jre is 64-bit, not 32-bit. Windows installs 32-bit jre7 in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7 and installs 64-bit jre7 in C:\Program Files\Java\jre7.

Do not move the files from Program Files to Program Files (x86). You can download the 32-bit installer from java.com
Sorry in advance, but I am getting a bit frustrated with this. I seem to be repeating myself here, and in the steps taken to try to solve this problem.
Bill I'm not sure what you're saying to me.
It looks to me like the 64 bit java filename is jre-7u45-windows-x64.exe
I have downloaded the 32 bit version from
http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
i clicked on the link "Windows Offline (32-bit)" and installed the file
I am pretty sure I have done this before because my downloads folder shows the same file name & size 3 times,
so the one I just got is jre-7u45-windows-i586(2).exe

And I did get the 2010 redistributable from MS, the link there says SP1
but after install my Control panel - Programs and Features says "Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219"
but does not say SP1.

And I still can't open the Base file containing thousands of records with extensive notes, of my LP, Cass,CD, VHS & DVD collection.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you have installed the 32 bit Java (i586) you _must_ then select it (usually once only needed) in OpenOffice /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Java so that OpenOffice "knows" to use it in preference to all other installed Javas.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

haroldland wrote:Sorry in advance, but I am getting a bit frustrated with this. I seem to be repeating myself here, and in the steps taken to try to solve this problem.
Bill I'm not sure what you're saying to me.
It looks to me like the 64 bit java filename is jre-7u45-windows-x64.exe
I have downloaded the 32 bit version from
http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
i clicked on the link "Windows Offline (32-bit)" and installed the file
I am pretty sure I have done this before because my downloads folder shows the same file name & size 3 times,
so the one I just got is jre-7u45-windows-i586(2).exe
You have obviously downloaded the 32-bit version, but there is no indication from your description that the 32-bit version is actually installed on your system. It should be in Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7, not Program Files\Java\jre7. I have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed. There are two jre7 folders, one in Program Files (x86)\Java where the 32-bit version is installed and one in Program Files\Java where the 64-bit version is installed. AOO finds the JRE in Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7 automatically when the Use a java runtime environment option is enabled, but returns the message "the folder you selected does not contain a java runtime environment..." when pointing to the 64-bit version in Program Files\Java\jre7. AOO will detect a 32-bit JRE but will not detect a 64-bit JRE. You should run the 32-bit installer to install the 32-bit JRE. If it still does not appear in Program Files (x86), then you have a problem on your system not related to AOO.
haroldland wrote:And I did get the 2010 redistributable from MS, the link there says SP1
but after install my Control panel - Programs and Features says "Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219"
but does not say SP1.
I didn't have to download and install the 2010 redistributable on Windows 8, so I can't comment on what should be shown in the Control Panel, but it does not affect AOO's ability to detect the JRE.
scarrott

Post by scarrott »

I'm with you Harold, there is definitely a problem here. I have just installed the latest Openoffice 4.01, uninstalled every version of Java on my system and reinstalled the 32-bit version (which is in Program Files (x86)), made sure it is pointed to correctly in Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - Java, and i've checked I have the C++ 2010 redistributable and I am getting this error.
Openoffice 4.01 on Windows 7 64-Bit
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

scarrott wrote:I'm with you Harold, there is definitely a problem here. I have just installed the latest Openoffice 4.01, uninstalled every version of Java on my system and reinstalled the 32-bit version (which is in Program Files (x86)), made sure it is pointed to correctly in Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - Java, and i've checked I have the C++ 2010 redistributable and I am getting this error.
Your problem description is different. The OP has NO Java in Program Files (x86). You should open a new thread with details about YOUR problem to prevent confusion.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sometimes (rarely?) after selecting a setting in the OpenOffice configuration , it is good to restart OpenOffice completely, (including any Quickstarter). The surest way is to close down the computer and power up afresh.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Maybe you are simply missing a very silly thing: you don't only have to tick the option Use a Java Runtime Environment. You also have to tick the small circle to the left of the JRE that you want it to use, even if there's only one listed.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I'm perplexed. On my system, with a fresh install, AOO 4.0.1 can find and enable a 32-bit JRE automatically. No manual setting is required.
haroldland

Post by haroldland »

It is working now, thanks to all for their help & patience, I will mark this solved.

What happened - I was ready to go back to OO version 3.2,
but first I uninstalled all Java on my computer (i had Java 6 32bit & 7 32bit & 64 bit) and then reinstalled 7 32 bit version (filename jre-7u45-windows-i586.exe) from
http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp, from the link "Windows Offline (32-bit)".
In Control Panel > Java > Java > View > User, checked Enable (the last column which was hidden due to the small size of the window) opposite Java 1.7....
and lo & behold in AOO4 Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Java, after waiting a few seconds Java 1.7.0_45 shows up & the radio button is already ticked.
I can now open my Base file & see my data!
So I'm not sure if it was that hidden checkbox in Control Panel or blowing away all Java & starting from scratch,
but there it is.

P.S. I will have to get Java 6 again, my Line 6 Variax Workbench software needs it, I hope I don't break anything...
Greengiant224

Post by Greengiant224 »

IIRC the checkbox in the Java control panel is normally selected by default. I'm not sure how that works with
having two types 32bit/64bit and/or v6 or v7 alongside one another.
You might need to use the tried and trusted 'trial by error' technique and see what works for you.
Glad to see you got it fixed.
haroldland:
P.S. I will have to get Java 6 again, my Line 6 Variax Workbench software needs it, I hope I don't break anything...
I'm sure you will get your 'guitar' to work with the Line 6 Variax Workbench.

Good luck

Greengiant224

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
digdoug78

Post by digdoug78 »

FJCC wrote:You shouldn't have to manually point to the jre, at least I never have. I go to Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> Java and click Use a Java Runtime Environment. After waiting several seconds, a list of available environments appears and I click the radio button next to the one I want and then click OK. I believe you have to restart OpenOffice after that..
did all that and database still doesn't work
openoffice 3.1.0 on windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] OO 4.0.1 can't find Java

Post by Bill »

Do you actually still have Java problems (discussed in a different thread months ago)? If so, you should post details in that thread instead of someone else's solved thread.
digdoug78

Post by digdoug78 »

:knock:
scarrott wrote:I'm with you Harold, there is definitely a problem here. I have just installed the latest Openoffice 4.01, uninstalled every version of Java on my system and reinstalled the 32-bit version (which is in Program Files (x86)), made sure it is pointed to correctly in Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - Java, and i've checked I have the C++ 2010 redistributable and I am getting this error.

deja vu (again!)
openoffice 3.1.0 on windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Upgrade to Windows 8.
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

that last reply here is just a stupidity.

Recently i have been messing with windows 10 Enterprise x64 where i installed lastest AOO. Same issue happened.
Guys, install manually VC++ 2010 SP1. AOO will detect instantly java.

Also trying a portable last version of LibreOffice, and without VC++ 2010 on the system, it was able to detect and use java.
OpenOffice last version | Mageia Linux x64 | Ubuntu Linux | Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 | Java last version
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

This thread is about AOO 4.0.1, not the "last version" (AOO 4.1.3). AOO 4.1.3 has a bug which was not in AOO 4.0.1. Installing VC++ 2010 SPI is the workaround for the bug in AOO 4.1.3.

Re: JRE not found (Java 8)