[Solved] OpenOffice just won't open

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
fireflyadele

[Solved] OpenOffice just won't open

Post by fireflyadele »

my open office will not open at all. I am a writer and all of my work is stored on and worked on with open office. I am getting very stressed as just nothing will open the files are still there but just wont open. anyone who can help please. :shock:
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon May 20, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
open office 3.2 en gb
windows vista premium
RoryOF

Re: open office just wont open

Post by RoryOF »

Did you have an OpenOffice or a system crash? These can leave processes running in the background that stop OpenOffice opening.

Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice processes shown on the Processes tab. Ignore the warning about horrible things happening - they have already as your OpenOffice isn't working. Now exit TaskManager and start up OpenOffice. All should now be well.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
fireflyadele

Re: OpenOffice just won't open

Post by fireflyadele »

thank you so much RoryOf this worked perfectly thank you thank you thank you.
open office 3.2 en gb
windows vista premium
OGR

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice just won't open

Post by OGR »

When is this annoying behavior going to be fixed?

Yes, killing the multiple instances of "soffice.bin" in the Task Manager will "fix" it, but this should not be happening in the first place.
Open Office 4.1.11 on Win 7 Pro
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This happens because the program has terminated or been terminated abnormally, frequently due to user error.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
OGR

Post by OGR »

User error? You're kidding, right?

You click the "X" in the upper right corner of the program window to close the program, just like every other Windows program that's ever been produced. How in the world can you make an error doing that?
Open Office 4.1.11 on Win 7 Pro
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, I quite agree with OGR, I can't see how it can be a user error. I don't experience this very often (I would say once or twice a year on my Windows 7 machine). I may be a problem with Windows itself, not freeing the soffice task.
Not sure if this is linked, but with the portable version (still 4.1.2), when I close AOO, it doesn't stop and at next startup, when I open AOO, I've an error message saying that it did not terminate properly.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Wasatch Rebel

Post by Wasatch Rebel »

I am having this same issue only there is no soffice mentioned in Task Manager processes. I think I may have done something when my Comodo Firewall earlier in the day said soffice wanted to do something and I denied it, not knowing at the time what soffice was. How would I solve the issue of OpenOffice not opening because of what I just did?
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows 7
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Have you tried the good old 'Reboot it" technique?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Since you think that you may have done something with Comodo Firewall (and if robleyd's suggestion of just rebooting doesn't work), then you'll need to get into the settings for the firewall.
I'm not familiar with Comodo, so I don't want to give specific instructions on what to look for and where.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Wasatch Rebel

Post by Wasatch Rebel »

Tried the reboot method already. Didn't work. I will need to get into Comodo and figure it out. There's probably a Comodo forum somewhere. Btw, thanks for responding.
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows 7
judithq

Post by judithq »

I opened Task Manager. What is a soffice? and what does it look like?
Open Office 4.13
Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I opened Task Manager. What is a soffice? and what does it look like?
The word (abbrevation) "soffice" is the name of the exacutable part of the office suite application. I suppose the name was inherited from the StarOffice-age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffi ... atives.svg

Note:
The Apache OpenOffice and the LibreOffice are integrated office suite applications. That means: there is not separated applications for the Writer, for the Calc and more... There is one integrated application in the pack, and it will be launched with various parameters, and so it becomes Calc, or Writer or Draw...
This is the reason, if you see "soffice"-s only if the task manager, but not "Calc.exe" nor "Writer.bin"
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

judithq please don't multipost, especially in old topics.
See: Please read the Survival Guide for the forum.

Topic locked since solved for OP.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10