All Words Are Misspelled

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Muni3131

Re: All Words Are Misspelled

Post by Muni3131 »

I was finding all this very confusing but resetting my user profile worked for me. Search above for “Hagar Delest”; his first entry has a link to the solution. It was a fairly simple fix but there was something at the end about Extension Managing that you just have to close.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3, Windows Vista Home Premium
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Muni3131 wrote:I was finding all this very confusing but resetting my user profile worked for me. Search above for “Hagar Delest”; his first entry has a link to the solution. It was a fairly simple fix but there was something at the end about Extension Managing that you just have to close.
Resetting the usre profile reinstalls an older version of the dictionary extension. The "something at the end about Extension Managing" is prompting you to install the updated dictionary extension.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
cobalt-blue

Post by cobalt-blue »

My question is why does this KEEP happening. I've lost my entire dictionary several times because of this. And that IS a problem, since I write science fiction and fantasy novels as well as professional journals on Nordic Religion. I have to re-add many words EVERY DANG TIME THIS HAPPENS! Can you not fix the bug?
Open Office 4.13
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This happens most probably because you are over hasty in powering off or sleeping your computer. Use the formal computer shut down process, wait some few seconds for all disk activity to finish before powering off after the OK to power down message (ten seconds is usually enough); essential housekeeping information has been written to the hard drive, but is held internally for a short time. The hard drive then decides to write this to the platters. If power is cut off too soon, by the power switch being used or the laptop lid snapped shut, this data may not be written to disk and will be forgotten, giving rise to the loss of the OpenOffice user profile.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

cobalt-blue wrote:...I've lost my entire dictionary several times...
When you reset your user profile, rename the "user" folder to "userold" instead of deleting the "user" folder. Open, then shutdown AOO to create a new "user" folder. Navigate to the "userold" folder, then copy the "wordbook" folder from the "userold" folder and paste it in the new "user" folder. Your custom dictionary is in the "wordbook" folder.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
cobalt-blue

Post by cobalt-blue »

Bill wrote:
cobalt-blue wrote:...I've lost my entire dictionary several times...
When you reset your user profile, rename the "user" folder to "userold" instead of deleting the "user" folder. Open, then shutdown AOO to create a new "user" folder. Navigate to the "userold" folder, then copy the "wordbook" folder from the "userold" folder and paste it in the new "user" folder. Your custom dictionary is in the "wordbook" folder.
Thank you. THat's very helpful information.
Open Office 4.13
Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you haven't already read [Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile (linked on the previous page of this topic), it is worth a look as it describes much of the content of the profile directories.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
fedorimt

Post by fedorimt »

RoryOF wrote:This happens most probably because you are over hasty in powering off or sleeping your computer. Use the formal computer shut down process, wait some few seconds for all disk activity to finish before powering off after the OK to power down message (ten seconds is usually enough); essential housekeeping information has been written to the hard drive, but is held internally for a short time. The hard drive then decides to write this to the platters. If power is cut off too soon, by the power switch being used or the laptop lid snapped shut, this data may not be written to disk and will be forgotten, giving rise to the loss of the OpenOffice user profile.
Thanks for the tip. I've lost my dictionary & OO user profile several times and I think this might be the cause since I've always used the power switch to turn off the computer. I've always assumed everything on RAM is automatically moved to DISK when all apps are closed.
Last edited by fedorimt on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

fedorimt wrote:I've always used the power switch to turn off the computer
It hasn't been a good idea to do that since the days of MSDOS 6 in the late eighties. A lot of data can be held in memory or hard drive cache before it is finally written to permanent storage; using the correct shutdown procedures for your OS will ensure that cached data is not lost on close down.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The few extra seconds one should wait, even cumulatively over years, will be less than the time taken to rebuild a damaged or lost file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS