Error 1311

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
JR1984

Error 1311

Post by JR1984 »

Hi I need help installing this program. I keep getting this error every time I try to install it...it say: Error 1311. Source file not found: "C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Desktop\openoffice.org-activex.cab. Verify that the file exists and you can access it."

By the way I am running on Windows XP

Also, I went here and downloaded it ( http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US ) because I read somewhere that if I have Java on my computer I do not need to have that when I download the program. So I tried both ways, with and without the Java (well i checked and unchecked the box as you can see on that page) but I still get the same error thinking that activex had to do something with the java.

well anyways I hope somebody can figure out this problem from what I wrote about. I would gladly appreciate the help
Hagar Delest

Re: Error 1311??

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try to disable your antivirus and/or firewall before running the install or place the whole installation folder created on your desktop in another folder (in your documents for example).

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
JR1984

Post by JR1984 »

It did not work. Ill try to delete the files then download it again from the site, then turn my antivirus software off. but if you or anyone else have any suggestions feel free to respond
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Where did you save the downloaded installer files before starting them for installation, i.e. are they on your local hard drive, on a USB memory stick, or maybe on a CD or DVD?
I'm asking as Error 1311 may refer to an issue of Microsoft installer when it extracts .cab data from external drives.

Do you have the current version of MSI running? It should be distributed via Microsoft Update. You can also check KB Article 893803.
You could also try to run the Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up utility which is available in KB Article 290301.
Finally, you could try to run a registry cleaning utility like CCleaner.

HTH!

phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
JR1984

Post by JR1984 »

Phil wrote:Where did you save the downloaded installer files before starting them for installation, i.e. are they on your local hard drive, on a USB memory stick, or maybe on a CD or DVD?
I'm asking as Error 1311 may refer to an issue of Microsoft installer when it extracts .cab data from external drives.

Do you have the current version of MSI running? It should be distributed via Microsoft Update. You can also check KB Article 893803.
You could also try to run the Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up utility which is available in KB Article 290301.
Finally, you could try to run a registry cleaning utility like CCleaner.

HTH!

phil
The Installer is on my local hard drive(desktop) and so far I did the registry cleaner but no luck. I dont have MSI running on my computer. I went to the link but I do not know what exactly I need to download, thats if I need to download something.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

Do a custom install and choose not to install the ActiveX (aka Internet Explorer browser plugin) feature.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

Also, check install error 1311 here
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

JR1984 wrote:I dont have MSI running on my computer.
Are you sure? Normally, it is an integral part of Windows XP.
JR1984 wrote:I went to the link but I do not know what exactly I need to download, thats if I need to download something.
There is a link "DownloadDownload the Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2) package now." on the page if you follow the link I posted.

Here is the direct link to the download page.

Maybe you can try that again!

KR, phil
JR1984

Post by JR1984 »

ok here are a few questions then

do I need not need to install the Java since I already have it on my computer?

when i click on custom installation, testool, XSLT Sample Filters, Mobile Device Filters and my ActiveX Control are X'ed out. which one of these do I need to turn on?....and which of the other ones that I did not mention needs to be turned off?

I've tried installing it with my Norton antivirus turned off. I notice it has a firewall. So do I need to turn off my Norton firewall and my other firewall thats already on my computer off?
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

JR1984 wrote:do I need not need to install the Java since I already have it on my computer?
It doesn't matter much either way.
when i click on custom installation, testool, XSLT Sample Filters, Mobile Device Filters and my ActiveX Control are X'ed out. which one of these do I need to turn on?....and which of the other ones that I did not mention needs to be turned off?
Try just disabling ActiveX Control.
I've tried installing it with my Norton antivirus turned off. I notice it has a firewall. So do I need to turn off my Norton firewall and my other firewall thats already on my computer off?
Usually just the antivirus is necessary.
JR1984

Post by JR1984 »

And another question is do I need to unzip all the files to another location/folder before I do the installation?
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

JR1984 wrote:And another question is do I need to unzip all the files to another location/folder before I do the installation?
Unzip what? On Windows, you download OpenOffice.org as an .exe. You run that and it unpacks itself to the desktop and automatically starts stage 2. At this point, you will have two icons that look like this.

So, just run the original .exe you downloaded. It has an blue and white icon with two seagulls.
JR1984

Post by JR1984 »

AndrewZ wrote:
JR1984 wrote:And another question is do I need to unzip all the files to another location/folder before I do the installation?
Unzip what? On Windows, you download OpenOffice.org as an .exe. You run that and it unpacks itself to the desktop and automatically starts stage 2. At this point, you will have two icons that look like this.

So, just run the original .exe you downloaded. It has an blue and white icon with two seagulls.
oh ok. i see those and i tried that way already. I was trying to figure out another way to do it
count yorga

Re: Error 1311

Post by count yorga »

Oh my God, this problem with the error 1311 has been reported for the last 7 years and the fools who write this so called alternative to Microsoft Office still haven's sorted it! I've tried all the so called fixes listed here with no joy whatsoever. I do like the way people try to fob us off by attempting to place the blame firmly with the Windows Installer lol. Here's a solution.... BUY Microsoft office, and the writers of this useless piece of software (and yes I'm sure there are lots and lots of people who have had no issues with this!) should perhaps write adware or some such rubbish that for not working, we will actually be grateful.

What a joke lol.
Open Office no version cos it wont f*****g install! Windows XP SP3 (The most widely used operating system at the moment)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For what it's worth, OpenOffice 4.0.1 (and earlier versions) installed on my XP system with no problems. Fix your computer!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

count yorga wrote:... this problem with the error 1311 has been reported for the last 7 years...
You didn't post a link to any bug report and I can't find one. If no bug report has been submitted, then it hasn't "been reported for the last 7 years".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
count yorga

Post by count yorga »

Hi everyone. Here's a solution to the Error 1311 problem bugging so many of us. Download and install Libre office from http://www.libreoffice.org/default/ The writers of this identical software suite have actually bothered to make the installer work properly. :D
Open Office no version cos it wont f*****g install! Windows XP SP3 (The most widely used operating system at the moment)
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

No installation problems for me. The problem is on your system. If you don't want to fix your system or actually report the problem to the developers, that's your choice. I choose not to use LO because it crashes too frequently.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04