Missing access rights

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
brimb

Missing access rights

Post by brimb »

I've been using 3.1 successfully for some time, but I can no longer load it on my laptop. A message appears saying I have missing access rights. I downloaded the 3.3 but the same thing is happening.
open office 3.3 windows xp home
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: missing access rights

Post by Villeroy »

Consult your system administrator.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Re: missing access rights

Post by RoryOF »

You may need to log on as Administrator, or upgrade your User rights to permit access to the OpenOffice files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
brimb

Re: Missing access rights

Post by brimb »

what do you mean by system administrator? How do I change access rights? I am the only user of this computer and have been for 2 years and I've always used open office with no problems
open office 3.3 windows xp home
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In a business the computer network is controlled by the System Administrator who has all rights on every computer. Ordinary users have only limited rights, to prevent deliberate or inadvertent computer chaos. If your computer is part of such a network the System Administrator is the person who can extend your rights as an ordinary user.
Bulie Jowker

Post by Bulie Jowker »

Hi, I have the same problem with 3.3. I have uninstalled aand re-installed twice to no avail - still have missing acces rights. I have gone into the files it tells me to, but none of these open either. I have no computer knowledge at all and do not understand what you mean by consulting my system administrator or how to upgrade my user rights! I was using it fine until two days ago and now I am desperate and cannot acces vital documents. Is there any way to open documents on another system until this gets sorted?

Many Thanks
Julie
Open Office 3.3 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Access rights are a System property. No amount of un/re-installing of OpenOffice will affect them. On Windows 7 you should log on as Administrator (your normal logon is most probably with Administrator rights on a private system, so your normal logon should be OK). Then you should right click on the OpenOffice installation files and select "run as Administrator" and tell it to install OpenOffice. In doing the selection of "run as Administrator" you are telling the Operating System (Windows) to change the access rights for OpenOffice files.

You can copy any OpenOffice files (extensions typically .odt, ods. odp and others similar) to a USB stick or device (observe USB removal protocols) and transfer them to another machine for editing. It is best to move them to the hard disk on the other computer from the USB stick and edit them on the hard disk, rather than edit them direct on the USB stick (risk of corruption if you do that).
ABSyed

Post by ABSyed »

I found a solution for this problem - with help from another thread in this forum.

Basically, I deleted the folder which was having the problem with the access rights (after 2 days spent messing around giving full access rights to all the files and folders and running everything as an administrator!)

It was in my Network folder and deleting it worked like a charm.

Hope it helps someone :super:
Just joined to post this :)
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 10
janak108

Post by janak108 »

This sounds like a useful approach. How do i locate the network folder if i can't open the Open office program at all?
OpenOffice 4.1.2, on Windows 7
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The usual approach is to use the file manager that comes with your operating system for managing files and folders (directories) on your computer. In Windows it may be called File Manager, File Explorer or Windows Explorer.

However, what worked in the above case may not be the same in your case. Deleting random folders can be an issue if you aren't aware of their purpose.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers