ERROR:Document does not exist

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Julzy

ERROR:Document does not exist

Post by Julzy »

:?: I have been using writer since the purchase of my pc, nearly 1 yr. I only just recently started getting an error message when trying to open any writer document created with open office writer. I can open the document if I have opened the writer program or rather I can open the document if I am already in writer. But I cannot open simply by clicking on my documents and opening said document or say penpal letter I created with writer say just last week? What has gone wrong or has my program gone corrupt? I have a 3 year old perhaps the corruption answer lies with him? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :oops:
DiGro

Re: ERROR:Document does not exist

Post by DiGro »

You probably lost the file-association to your Writer-documents.

Since we don't know which Operating system you are using, this is the Windows solution:

Rightclick on a random Writer-document.
Choos the option Open with... from the submenu.

Choose : Select program. A new submenu opens where several programs are listed.

OpenOffice should be amongst them, then select it, otherwise search for the program with the Browse button.

Don't forget the check the box "Always open this filetype with this program" (or something like that ;-) )
below the listed programs, that ensures you that Writer docs always be opened within OOo

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
Julzy

Post by Julzy »

:oops: Thank you DiGro for your reply. Apologies for not posting OS. It is windows xp.

:? I tried your suggestion and now I'm really confused because this time OOo program appears to start and then abruptly closes and then I get ERROR: message. My version of OOo is 2.0 perhaps I can order the newer version and possibly fix this problem? I have slow dial-up internet connection and downloading 112 or 118MB would take all day or longer and my fear is I would end up crashing my utilitarian pc. I do appreciate your wonderful idea and hope that perhaps there may be a different solution. I can still access my documents but it's annoying to go through all the extra steps but perhaps I must learn to live with a few annoyances, I do own a 3 year old boy full of annoying sounds at times. :lol:
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

What is the error message ?

For a DVD of OOo, see that thread, it may help : OpenOffice on Computer Magazines.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

It is possible that your harddisk is damaged, check if it makes annoying sounds when you try to open a file you have trouble with. Run scandisk if necessary.
If you still have the installation file of OOo you could re-install the version you now have. My computer is even older than yours, and still up and running, so that shouldn't hurt it. Alternatively, if you have a friend with a fast connection, you can talk him/her into downloading the latest version and put it on a CD or a memory stick for you.
You can also open recently used files from the Recent documents menu. It's easier than Open.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Julzy

Post by Julzy »

Thanks floris v! :? I do get annoying sounds when I first start up my computer but not when I try and open documents. I will do as you suggest and go from there. I'm starting to think perhaps it is a harddisk prob. :cry: Thanks again everyone this is a great forum.
DiGro

Post by DiGro »

Julzy,

you could first try to do a Repair of OpenOffice

Go to the Configuration section of Windows (that is where Add/Remove Programs is), Choose Software.

You will get a list with installed programs and OpenOffice2.0 should be amongst them.

Selecting it will activate the button Customize (or Change or Edit )I'm on Dutch build so the name may differ))
next to the button Remove.

Hitting the button Customize will start the configuration program for OOo and you will be able to choose Repair.

Try and see if that helps.

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
Julzy

Post by Julzy »

DiGro,
Thanks for that suggestion of trying to repair OOo. In attempting what I'm certain would probably fix my problem if I had a friend to try and burn OOo so that I could have a valid source/network resource as there are no paths to a folder containing the installation pkg. I believe the error is "ERROR.1706.No valid source could be found for product OOo.2.0 windows installer cannot continue".
Again, your suggestions are right on track but I will call my brother he lives 3 hours away and he has fast internet connection perhaps he can download the latest version for me. Have a great one!!