[Solved] Making OpenOffice the Default for Viewing Files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
efox575

[Solved] Making OpenOffice the Default for Viewing Files

Post by efox575 »

Hello to all and let me thank you for any and all help, noe I downloaded OO everything works as it should, although when ever I recieve and MS open document wether it be power point, word ect. I have to save it from my email then do the whole "open with" thing can I set OO to be my default "word, Powerpoint ect." program. I hope I am clear with my question. I am running Windows XP Pro. I do not have and MS office software on this computer. I am just trying to eliminate several steps when recieveing emails with word documents, and I can not find how to make OO my default reader program. again I have to save the word doc from my email to a file ie. my desktop then click on it and choose open with" OO.

Thanks again,

PS by the way i love Open Office great concept
EFOX575
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Need Default Help

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Next time you do "Open With" from Windows Explorer, select Choose Program, and make OpenOffice the default.

Please edit your thread title to something meaningful such as, “Making OpenOffice the Default for Viewing Files” and if your problem is solved, prefix it with the tag [Solved].

Please read the Survival Guide for the forum
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
efox575

Re: Need Default Help

Post by efox575 »

Thanks, I figured it would be that simple but was an overlook on my part. I just went and set it and that worked perfect.
Thanks Again
EFOX575
Bonny

Re: [Solved] Making OpenOffice the Default for Viewing Files

Post by Bonny »

I am using Time Warner Spectrum online email. I have set OpenOffice as the default program to open MS Office documents, but it is still requiring me to download the file to my computer first, then go into the download folder and choose to open the file with Open Office. The only thing that has changed since I made OpenOffice the default program is after downloading and clicking on the file to open it, it does give me the option to open with OpenOffice. Before I had to navigate to OpenOffice in my programs folder to select it.

Is there a way to double click on the attachment within the email and have it automatically open with OpenOffice?
Open Office 4.1.6 Microsoft 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Making OpenOffice the Default for Viewing Files

Post by Zizi64 »

I have set OpenOffice as the default program to open MS Office documents, but it is still requiring me to download the file to my computer first, then go into the download folder and choose to open the file with Open Office. The only thing that has changed since I made OpenOffice the default program is after downloading and clicking on the file to open it, it does give me the option to open with OpenOffice. Before I had to navigate to OpenOffice in my programs folder to select it.

Is there a way to double click on the attachment within the email and have it automatically open with OpenOffice?
The directly opened attachments will be appeared in read only mode from a temporary directory. You must enable the editing by a "Save as" or by clicking on the "Edit". Clicking on the Edit means: the changed document file stay in the temporary directory.

It is better to download the attachments first into a well known target directory, and then open them. The "Save as" method will make a copy of the "pre-downloaded" document located in the temporary directory into another directory choosen by you = the document "will be fully downloaded".
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.