[Solved] Error 1606 when trying to install

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Smirnoff

[Solved] Error 1606 when trying to install

Post by Smirnoff »

Error message: Could not access network location OpenOffice.org 3

I uninstalled 3.2.1 via Add/Remove Programs.

Waited until the English (GB) version of 3.3 was available and downloaded to Desktop and then unpacked to Desktop.

The above error message was shown.

Did some searching and deleted all OpenOffice files via Search. Also, ran CCleaner registry cleaner.

Did another Search and the only files found were the installer and the unpacked files folder.

Tried installing again but keep receiving the above error message.

Help please.
Last edited by Smirnoff on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 3.3 Windows XP Pro, SP3
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Error 1606 when trying to install

Post by floris v »

You can try :
* http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 06#p164905
* http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 06#p101507
* http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 606#p90584

If your problem has been solved, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Smirnoff

Post by Smirnoff »

Thanks but I saw those links when searching for the error.

No help to me I'm afraid.

Is there a link where I can get a previous version? 3.2.1 was working OK.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Nederlandstalig forum
Smirnoff

Post by Smirnoff »

Thanks, I was able to install 3.2.1.

It's English (US) but I can live with that.

I chose to install the version without JRE as I already have it. I think JRE might be the problem.

When I go to this link and try to download 3.3 English (UK):

http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#tested-full

I untick/uncheck the box that says "Include the JRE to the download (switching is only available for Windows and Linux 32-bit RPM)." However, when the file downloads it has wJRE in the title.

Also, when I open 3.2.1 and check for updates it tells me that 3.2 is up to date, it doesn't tell me a newer version is available (or supposed to be available).

At least I have a working version of OO thanks to you. However, I won't mark this post as solved because obviously there is a problem with installing 3.3.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Smirnoff wrote:I untick/uncheck the box that says "Include the JRE to the download (switching is only available for Windows and Linux 32-bit RPM)." However, when the file downloads it has wJRE in the title.
The JRE is an optional component. During installation, select "custom" install and you can disable installation of the JRE.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I get a 404 error when I try to download EnglishGB w/o JRE from the website. With JRE is downloads OK. I don't see any EnglhsGB on the UK mirrors I checked.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

A good reason to keep an install file of an old version until you're sure that the new version really works for you.
Nederlandstalig forum
Smirnoff

Post by Smirnoff »

Bill wrote:
Smirnoff wrote:I untick/uncheck the box that says "Include the JRE to the download (switching is only available for Windows and Linux 32-bit RPM)." However, when the file downloads it has wJRE in the title.
The JRE is an optional component. During installation, select "custom" install and you can disable installation of the JRE.
Unfortunately the install of 3.3 does not get far enough to select custom. That's why I wondered if JRE was causing the problem.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Perhaps this link will help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Smirnoff

Post by Smirnoff »

thomasjk wrote:Perhaps this link will help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549.
That did the trick, thanks.

Ran the Fix It tool.

Downloaded 3.3 English (GB)

Did not uninstall 3.2.1.

This time the installation ran OK and was able to select "Custom". Chose not to install JRE (I already have the latest platform) or Quick Starter.

Opened 3.3 with no problem and was then going to uninstall 3.2.1 via Add/Remove Programs but it had already been removed with the installation of 3.3.

Thanks again.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Interestingly, that link is in the set I offered first (and it didn't work for me, at first).

If your problem has been solved, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Smirnoff

Post by Smirnoff »

floris v wrote:Interestingly, that link is in the set I offered first (and it didn't work for me, at first).

Sorry, didn't see that specific link in your first reply.

I have noticed that there are several links associated with error 1606. Some pertain to additional stuff following the error message, such as Administrative Tools, All Users, AppData, %userprofile% etc and instructions on how to hack a particular registry key for that problem.

The link posted by thomasjk:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

appears to fix ALL 1606 errors. Well it did for me.
ChuckR

Re: [Solved] Error 1606 when trying to install

Post by ChuckR »

Like many of us, I have been trying to clear the 1606 Error message. Ran Fixit and then went into the Register and verified, after trying to install 3.3, that everything matched 886549, which it did. I finally installed 3.2.1 okay. I don't plan on uninstalling 3.2.1 and trying 3.3 again unless the Java problem is fixed. It is also critical that OpenOffice have a complete Update to previous versions. Letting 3.2.1 hang out when 3.3 is installed and having to use a program like REVO to do the uninstall is just asking for trouble if some files are missed. An install should keep a record of everyplace it hooks into a system so everything can be removed or replaced.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows Professional 7 64bit