[Solved] Missing Explorer > Right Click>New> Text Document

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
kjmc

[Solved] Missing Explorer > Right Click>New> Text Document

Post by kjmc »

Hi all

Is the second time it happens to me, when I install Open Office ( either in Windows XP or Windows7 ) I lose the option to create a New text file from the Explorer of Windows

Explorer -> Rigth click -> New -> Text Document will either be missing, or changed to create an OpenOffice document, or rtf document, etc... but not a simple text document, that I would rather open with .. for example Ultra Edit, or notepad, or some light text editor...
I'ts vey frustrating since it happend to me with an widows XP, and took me forever to find a solution ( editing regedit in many different places ) now, I have a windows 7, and again I will have to google for a solution... shouldn't it be an option to consider in the installation, and not rather just change things ?

BTW, someone has a practical solution to restore this option in Windows7 ?

Regards
Kathleen
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpnOffice 3.2, Windows 7 64x
Menthish

Re: Missing Explorer -> Right Click -> New -> Text Document

Post by Menthish »

My study on this has resulted in finding that Open Office (in my case) seemed to have set the default value of [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt] to null ... Simply entering "txtfile" without the quotes as the value for default has fixed the problem for me.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7
bxdobs

Re: [Solved] Missing Explorer > Right Click>New> Text Docume

Post by bxdobs »

This didn't work by itself ... had to first delete the .txt key ... registry lets you do this BUT then .txt is MIA and says its can't be added because it already exists ... not to worry ... just run the new text reg file provided here and the Text option returns to the menu ... I had tried various methods including rebooting after application of the reg file with no luck ... deleting the .txt key and then running the add reg file was the only thing that worked
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows XP PRO SP3