[Solved] Move OpenOffice.org 3 Folder from Start Menu cmd-li

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
qwertz42

[Solved] Move OpenOffice.org 3 Folder from Start Menu cmd-li

Post by qwertz42 »

Hi everybody,

after some elongated research - without results :crazy: - I'm posting my problem here:
OOo: 3.2.1
Target: to move the "OpenOffice.org 3" folder that can be seen in the startmenu/programs-folder to a subfolder of my choice (startmenu/programs/office) using the commandline

Problem: The Windows-explorer shows and moves "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\OpenOffice.org 3" easily to %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Office\OpenOffice.org 3". (I'm using the shell variables here as I don't know the correct English Version of C:\...\All Users using a German Win myself.) BUT: Going to "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\" within cmd and then listing the content with dir shows no "OpenOffice.org 3" folder whatsoever.

I'm assuming that some kind of soft link ist used that the Windows-explorer does interpret properly to link the "OpenOffice.org 3" Start Menu folder into %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\".

But for a customized installation at my school I'd like to move the "OpenOffice.org 3" folder as mentioned above using a script-line like

Code: Select all

MOVE /Y "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\OpenOffice.org 3" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Office\"
Any (easy) way to do that?

Cheers
qwertz42
Last edited by qwertz42 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.2 on Win XP and Hardy
rudolfo
Volunteer

Re: Move OpenOffice.org 3 Folder from Start Menu using cmd-l

Post by rudolfo »

The explorer doesn't care for file/directory attributes like hidden, system and others. But the command line operations MOVE and COPY do not operate on files with the hidden or system attribute and DIR requires the /A option to show them.
My installation (german win2k) gives me:

Code: Select all

C:\home\All Users\Startmenü\Programme>attrib "OpenOffice.org 3.1"
   S       C:\home\All Users\Startmenü\Programme\OpenOffice.org 3.1
C:\home\All Users\Startmenü\Programme>attrib Autostart
A          C:\home\All Users\Startmenü\Programme\Autostart
Just a guess: wrap your move operation into
attrib -s "OpenOffice.org 3"
cd newDirectory
attrib +s "OpenOffice.org 3"

There is a hidden desktop.ini file in the OpenOffice.org 3 folder, you might have to unhide this file, as well, before the move command works correctly.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
qwertz42

Re: Move OpenOffice.org 3 Folder from Start Menu using cmd-l

Post by qwertz42 »

Cheers,

that did the job. :lol:

cu
qwertz42
OOo 3.2 on Win XP and Hardy