Spontaneous mis-typing

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
ozromer

Spontaneous mis-typing

Post by ozromer »

I have an issue which is by no means limited to Open Office, but which includes this programme.
When I am typing a document in Writer, MS Word (2000) or as part of an email, the text will suddenly become gibberish because hitting the keyboard's correct keys will generate incorrect letters in the document. The change seems to be stable in that if, for example, I hit A the result on the screen will always be G (say). Closing and re-opening the document fixes the problem for a short time, so save and recover have to be done.
The MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard has been replaced, so I am disinclined to blame that. I have XP pro as the OS.
Apologies if this is entirely the wrong place to raise this issue, but I can find no help elsewhere.
Any experience or sugestions please?
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Spontaneous mis-typing

Post by squenson »

I guess this is an issue with languages and different keyboard set-up in Windows XP. Go to Control Panel, then find Regional and Language Options, and then click on the tab "Languages" and finally on the button "Details...". In the new window, you will find which keyboards are installed and you can remove those you don't want.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
ozromer

Post by ozromer »

squenson wrote:I guess this is an issue with languages and different keyboard set-up in Windows XP. Go to Control Panel, then find Regional and Language Options, and then click on the tab "Languages" and finally on the button "Details...". In the new window, you will find which keyboards are installed and you can remove those you don't want.
Dear Squenson,
Many thanks for the swift reply. I have found and removed a keyboard named US-Dvorak (a layout which Ido not have) but left that labelled US. The latter seems identical to my layout - now that I have researched it.
Time will tell if this action is effective, but in the interim, your guidance is very welcome.
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

The MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard has been replaced, so I am disinclined to blame that.
Is that the 4000 model? I went through four of those before I got one that was manufactured correctly. The thing would wig out completely... would start small with just a character or two here and there, would behave as though the Alt key were continually pressed, or would suddenly and endlessly repeat a keystroke or combination of keystrokes (really annoying and often risky when one of the strokes is the Enter key!) so I wouldn't put it past the keyboard just yet, even if it isn't the Ergonomic 4000 model.

You might want to inspect for keyloggers, too. Since this isn't an OpenOffice issue, however, you might want to take the question to a Windows support site... if removing the Dvorak keyboard doesn't help. (Sorry to say, I would be surprised if it did. See here for more information: http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/.)
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
ozromer

Post by ozromer »

Fox,
You hit it in one! I do have the 4000 series keyboard but the trouble I have does not seem like that you have experienced.
Have previously tried the MS Support site and approached MS by 'phone, to no avail.
Have also briefed my self via the site you reccomend for Dvorak -thanks.
I have no idea how to check for key loggers, but I'll Google the subject to see if I can find out. I do of course have the usual suite of protection software, but to what extent they are effectiv is always an unknown.
Des
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

ozromer wrote:Fox,
You hit it in one! I do have the 4000 series keyboard but the trouble I have does not seem like that you have experienced.
Have previously tried the MS Support site and approached MS by 'phone, to no avail.
Have also briefed my self via the site you reccomend for Dvorak -thanks.
I have no idea how to check for key loggers, but I'll Google the subject to see if I can find out. I do of course have the usual suite of protection software, but to what extent they are effectiv is always an unknown.
Des
You're right, now that I think back on it, the Microsoft support is extremely unresponsive. That was a dead end. But the 4000 is notorious for manufacturing defects, which is why I replaced it so many times. I also suspect there are problems with the driver, that MS is just not willing or able to figure out. The overall design and comfort of the keyboard are great, so it might be worth your while to replace it again.

Good luck!
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit