OpenOffice 3 will not save right

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Diana

OpenOffice 3 will not save right

Post by Diana »

Hi, My Open Office 2.1 stopped saving documents in the right form and can not be opened though it does save even when I try to do the "open with" option. Open Office for some reason does not show in that area.

I downloaded Open Office 3.1 yesterday and it did the same. Took a long time to download and was not the usual way my programs download.

Today then II deleted the 3.1 version.
Then I re-downloaded the 3.1 it downloaded the right way today and turned my saved documents back into the proper form.

However when I go to save the new documents I am doing they save the wrong way and the "Open With" is not including Open Office.

How can I get my documents to save correctly.

My grandson does his home-school on my computer and we can't save any of it to send to his teachers now.

Please help if you can.

Diana
Windows XP Open Office 3.1
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Open Office 3 will not save right

Post by thomasjk »

In the File--->Save dialog make sure that "Automatic filename extension" is checked.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Open Office 3 will not save right

Post by TheGurkha »

On the file save dialog when you use Save or Save As, make sure the option 'Automatic File Name Extension' is selected.

For the files you've already created, open OOo and then use File > Open and then re-save them making sure they have the correct extension, .odt or .ods or .doc or whatever is appropriate.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Diana

Re: OpenOffice 3 will not save right

Post by Diana »

Thanks for your help The Gurkha and Thomas. Open Office will now save and open but I have a similar problem now.

Before, my Open Office would also open MS Word documents and now it won't. Can anyone help on this one? :?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks, :)
Diana
Windows XP Open Office 3.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Does it help: [Tutorial] Setting the default program for MS Office formats?

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

This is an issue with your operating system, actually, not OOo. The operating system should associate a specific program with a specific file extension. You need to tell Windows XP that for files of type .doc and .xls it should fire up Writer or Calc as appropriate.

Running this utility should set the associations correctly: OOoAssociation Utility.

If this has answered your question please go to your first post and use the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can use the green tick icon at the same time if you like.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust