OOo hangs on WIN98SE on Java Install

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
timdoc1

OOo hangs on WIN98SE on Java Install

Post by timdoc1 »

This has gotta be a known issue!
When I try a manual upgrade to Java at java.com the tool reports it can not read what current ver of Java is installed b/c my WIN98SE or IE6.0 is too old (I installed the latest JRE BTW independant of OOo BTW) so JAva is all up to date. But this leads me to believe this is the reason for the OOo hang ... it is trying to read the current java set-up.

Is there a way to install OOo on my system. I am doing this for a young girl w/o any computer as her Grandparents/parent can not afford anything.

Thanks,
Tim

WIN98 SE
256 MB RAM
60GB HD
IE 6.0
JAVA 1.5.0-14-b03
Hagar Delest

Re: OOo hangs on WIN98SE on Java Install

Post by Hagar Delest »

According to the requirements (from OOo site) OOo runs on :
Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2 or higher), Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista (enhanced Vista integration from version 2.2)
So there should be no problem.
What you could try is to remove Java, download the OOo version with Java and install.
Else, where does it hangs ? At install ? You don't need Java at install, you can even run OOo without Java (but some features won't be available of course).

I think the issue has nothing to do with Java but I might be wrong.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: OOo hangs on WIN98SE on Java Install

Post by Bill »

timdoc1 wrote:This has gotta be a known issue!
When I try a manual upgrade to Java at java.com the tool reports it can not read what current ver of Java is installed b/c my WIN98SE or IE6.0 is too old (I installed the latest JRE BTW independant of OOo BTW) so JAva is all up to date. But this leads me to believe this is the reason for the OOo hang ... it is trying to read the current java set-up.

Is there a way to install OOo on my system. I am doing this for a young girl w/o any computer as her Grandparents/parent can not afford anything.

Thanks,
Tim

WIN98 SE
256 MB RAM
60GB HD
IE 6.0
JAVA 1.5.0-14-b03
Don't remove your version of Java 5 update 14. It is the up-to-date version for Windows 98. OOo 2.3.1 is packaged with Java 6 update 3 which is not recommended for Windows 98. When you install OOo, you should select the "Custom" installation instead of a "Complete" installation and remove Java from the list of optional components to be installed.