[Solved] Registration and Uninstall Problems

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Buddyboy

[Solved] Registration and Uninstall Problems

Post by Buddyboy »

I have used version 1 for some time very happily. I upgraded to version 2 and, unknown to me, it did not remove version 1. I did the survey, registered, etc, but thereafter every time I rebooted I was asked to re-register, do the survey, etc. So, I thought if I uninstall the programme and reinstall it, re-do the registration, etc., that might solve the issue. Not so.

I tried to uninstall OO via the "Set Programme Access and Defaults" button in the control panel. It told me it could not get access to a networked file and so failed. I am a standalone home computer with no networking. Then I went to the file location and discovered I had both versions. I deleted them manually (I know the registry issues of doing it that way) then reinstalled OO from a fresh download. I get the message, again, "A feature that you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." I can't seem to get past that. Help would be appreciated.

I am running Windows XP SP2. Thank you. (I wanted to send screen shots of the messages I am getting but this board does not seem to accept attachments.)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
medwayfire.org
Hagar Delest

Re: Registration and Uninstall Problems

Post by Hagar Delest »

This board does allow attachments but smaller than 128 kB.

Try to delete any OOo user profile in \Documents and settings\<user>\Application data\OpenOffice.org2 (and/or OpenOffice.org.1). Have you cleaned the registry to get rid of remaining entries ?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy »

Thanks for the assistance, Hagar. I have run a search for all open office files on my computer and deleted them manually. I then ran a scan of the registry using Glary Utilities and cleaned that up. I am unable, however, to manually delete one version of Open Office 2.2 which remains in my Program Files. When I try to delete it it says the file cannot be deleted because either access is denied or it is in use somewhere else. I did see a quick start icon in my system tray amd clicked to exit that, but that made no difference. I see nothing running via the system manager. My Remove Programmes function via the Control Panel still shows this installation, but again it won't let me remove it. Now I am stuck again. If I could just delete all remaining traces of previous versions I'll do a fresh install. I am reasonably adept at working on the computer but by no means an expert. Further guidance would be appreciated.
Attachments
One of the messages I get.  I now have version 2.2 remaining but the type of messages I get is the same.
One of the messages I get. I now have version 2.2 remaining but the type of messages I get is the same.
medwayfire.org
Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy »

I have also tried to do the installation again. Again I get the message posted below.
Open OfficeA.jpg
Open OfficeA.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 7145 times
I also found another installation location for another version of Open Office. It is at
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\OpenOffice.org 2.3 Installation Files
while the other version is in my Programme Files. Interestingly, the 2.3 version does not show in my Remove Programme facility list.
medwayfire.org
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Buddyboy wrote:Thanks for the assistance, Hagar. I have run a search for all open office files on my computer and deleted them manually. I then ran a scan of the registry using Glary Utilities and cleaned that up. I am unable, however, to manually delete one version of Open Office 2.2 which remains in my Program Files. When I try to delete it it says the file cannot be deleted because either access is denied or it is in use somewhere else. I did see a quick start icon in my system tray amd clicked to exit that, but that made no difference. I see nothing running via the system manager. My Remove Programmes function via the Control Panel still shows this installation, but again it won't let me remove it. Now I am stuck again. If I could just delete all remaining traces of previous versions I'll do a fresh install. I am reasonably adept at working on the computer but by no means an expert. Further guidance would be appreciated.
If OpenOffice 2.2 is still in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, then it's still in the registry. You can use the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to remove it.
Buddyboy wrote:I also found another installation location for another version of Open Office. It is at
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\OpenOffice.org 2.3 Installation Files
This is not another installation. When you double-click the downloaded file, "installation files" are unpacked to a folder on the desktop. The Setup.exe file in that folder starts the actual installation which goes in Program Files. Once the installation is complete, the files on the desktop may be deleted.
Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy »

Thanks, Bill. Your post and suggestions did the trick. I downloaded and ran the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility and was able to remove the last vestiges of the previous Open Office version using it. I did not know that tool existed and it worked like magic. I then reinstalled the latest OO version and am now again fully functional. When I boot up I no longer keep getting put through the registration and survey process each time, as was the case before. Thanks for your, and Hagar's, patient help and advice. :D
medwayfire.org
Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy »

Oops. I spoke too soon. I now find I cannot open documents (.doc) in OO. I get the message:
Open OfficeB.jpg
Open OfficeB.jpg (10.09 KiB) Viewed 7135 times
I have done a "repair" re-installation but it did not cure it. Any suggestions, please?
medwayfire.org
Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy »

:idea: OK. I found the issue, finally. My file associations still showed it to be to version 2.2 which I had removed. I corrected the association to version 2.3 and am back in business. Thanks for being there anyway. :D :D :D
medwayfire.org