[Solved] OpenOffice won't open any files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Rhed

[Solved] OpenOffice won't open any files

Post by Rhed »

I've been trying to fix this problem for a few days. Nothing seems to work. When I click on any ODS file, The splash screen appears briefly and then it disappears and an error box with

"Write Error. The file could not be written"

pops up. The file lock has been created by not cleared when the program terminates. If I try to open the same file a second time (with the lock file still existing) then I get a

"Document in Use" box which says "Document file 'xxxx.ods' is locked for editing by: Unknown User Open document read-only or open a copy of the document for editing."

Either selection gives me the error box described above. I've updated OO from 4.1.3 to 4.1.11 and the problem persists. I've checked all the file attributes and permissions. All files open using software other than OO. I might just have to upload the files to Google Docs and update them there, but I'd prefer not to do that. Haven't explored the "Unknown User" issue. All users should be known to the system. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
Apache OpenOoffice 4.1.5-m1 (Build:9789) on Windows 10 Home
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice won't open any files.

Post by RoryOF »

With OpenOffice closed, delete the .lock file. Also check in the root of the OpenOffice user profile ( details at: [Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile
for another lock file and delete it.

Then see if OpenOffice will start.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Rhed

Post by Rhed »

I'm sorry. That did not work. This error is a fatal one and soffice.exe always closes.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Have you restarted Windows?
Rhed

Post by Rhed »

Of course. This has been an ongoing problem that I can't figure out. Do you know why the user is unknown?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As far as I remember the "unknown user" message may be because a lock file is left in the root of the OpenOffice User User Profile. But be aware that I don't use any current Windows, so my information may be wrong.
Rhed

Post by Rhed »

I don't have any lock files in the root of the OpenOffice user profile. I think I'll completely remove OO, scrub the registry of any left behind keys and then reinstall OO to a completely different location.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Delete the User Profile to prevent any "memory".
Rhed

Post by Rhed »

So sorry. That didn't change anything. I deleted C:User/.../AppData/Roaming/OpenOffice as suggested. I've also found that if I create a new file, I can't save it. When I attempt to save, I'm told the file doesn't exist. Curiouser and curiouser and curiouser....
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice won't open any files

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Problems with Windows Defender under Windows 10 at viewtopic.php?f=74&t=97507.

Windows is preventing ...\soffice.bin from writing the lock file - investigate why.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Rhed

Re: OpenOffice won't open any files

Post by Rhed »

OS seems to have been corrupted. I don't know the culprit yet. I suspect HP Support Assistant. Ran

Code: Select all

ICACLS * /T /Q /C /RESET
as admin and the icons on my desktop changed to thumbnails of the actual files. Still couldn't open OO files. Noticed the Documents & Settings hidden folder was corrupted with recursive "Application Data" folders so files couldn't be found. Removed the recursion. Also noticed that User/* folder was set to read only attribute. Manually changed it... several times, but it won't go away. Even running ATTRIB * -R as an administrator won't remove it. But I can open OO files and I can save them. PHEW!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice won't open any files

Post by John_Ha »

Check for malware.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.