[Solved] Password Protect Folders & Files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
johnoo

[Solved] Password Protect Folders & Files

Post by johnoo »

How do you carry out both of these actions?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
Hagar Delest

Re: Password Protect Folders & Files

Post by Hagar Delest »

I would say encrypt the folders.
Or keep the machine off the net and lock it in a safe.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Not a very helpful reply, if I may say so.
Is there not a method of just allocating a password to a Folder or a File in AOO to give protection as one does with web sites?
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Password protecting folders or files is an operating system facility and you should consult information for that. But be aware that if for some reason passwording fails, be it because of hard disk failure, forgotten password, or damaged file, it may be impossible to recover your information.

If you really wish to keep files confidential, my advice is to work to an external USB hard disk (not a USB stick), and keep that in whatever security you think appropriate.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Password protection of folders and files can happen on two levels:
  • File system level
    Files (and sometimes folders) are stored in encrypted form using password as encryption/decryption key.
    This often makes content inaccessible also to system admins unless they have your password. Advantage for confidentiality, disadvantage in data rescue situations.
  • Operating system level
    Access to file system (local storage as well as network shares) is restricted based on user ID, which is confirmed by password at login.
    With this, the content is usually accessible for users with admin privileges.
There are also hybrid solutions, where your login opens an encryption key, and that key is used transparently (without user interaction) to encrypt your stuff on file system level.

Those kinds of protection are dependent on system type, and the office suite has no bearing on this. Ask in a MS Windows support forum or search in Microsoft support pages.

Password protection of documents (file content) is a different matter, and something you enable when saving (tick box below filename field). From the wording of your question and your choice of subforum for asking, I guess that is not what you are after, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway...)
Last edited by keme on Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnoo

Post by johnoo »

Thanks, appears a bit complicated. Think I will forget
Best Regards
Johnoo

Windows 10 AOO 4.1.11
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

johnoo wrote:Thanks, appears a bit complicated. Think I will forget
Not very complicated, but you need to know the implications. If you enable protection and forget the key, you are also locked out from content yourself. Which "back doors" are available depend on choice of protection. How secure do you need your stuff to be?
  • For file system level security, options are often found in file/folder context menu (security or properties option).
  • For operating system level security, you need to access the user administration of your system.
  • For document level security in this office suite, you tick a box when you save.
It is still smart to consult authoritative support (cf. my link above). They may have more advice on best practice based on user experience.