Not printing file if there's color in it

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Tikatu2

Not printing file if there's color in it

Post by Tikatu2 »

Printer: HP ENVY 6000 on network

I find my files (.odt, .rtf) won't print if there's color in them. The printer just cycles through a piece of blank paper. A converted .pdf will print from Adobe DC. Anything that's just black will print, no problem, no matter the file type. Even the diagnostic pages from the printer come out fine, in full color. I've been through the whole gauntlet with HP, downloading drivers again, etc. They don't know what's going on. So, I'm here to ask: why is there no color option in the printer preferences? I noticed this as being a problem on another support page and I want to know if there's a fix.
Attachments
The file I've been trying to print and the reason why it won't.
The file I've been trying to print and the reason why it won't.
Open Office 4.1.10
Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Not printing file if there's color in it

Post by RusselB »

With my HP, which is an Envy 5000 (so a little older model than what you are showing), I simply select Off in the Greyscale settings and I get my color.
The printing preferences are printer based and are controlled by the printer, not OpenOffice.
While you state that you have gone through the "whole gauntlet with HP", I've found, from (unfortunate) experience that sometimes you have to completely remove the printer from Windows and then let Windows rediscover the printer.
This is done via your Windows Settings.
I suspect that the problem actually lies with Windows 10 and we are stuck with it until Microsoft recognizes it as a problem and issues a fix.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

As a test, print to a PDF using the W10 PDF Printer. If the colours print in the PDF, and if the PDF prints correctly, then the problem is almost certainly the printer driver.

Do not rely on W10 to do it correctly! Download the correct printer driver from the HP website and install it.

A number of posts have shown that W10 has a habit of installing the wrong printer drivers during updates :crazy: The problem seems to be related to the fact AOO is a 32 bit application talking to a 64 bit printer driver. Other applications, like Adobe Reader, are 64 bit and work OK.

LO is 64 bit.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Tikatu2

Post by Tikatu2 »

John_Ha wrote:As a test, print to a PDF using the W10 PDF Printer. If the colours print in the PDF, and if the PDF prints correctly, then the problem is almost certainly the printer driver.

Do not rely on W10 to do it correctly! Download the correct printer driver from the HP website and install it.

A number of posts have shown that W10 has a habit of installing the wrong printer drivers during updates :crazy: The problem seems to be related to the fact AOO is a 32 bit application talking to a 64 bit printer driver. Other applications, like Adobe Reader, are 64 bit and work OK.

LO is 64 bit.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
I did do a .pdf print and it was fine. According to HP, my printer only prints .pdf files. I'll check for a 32-bit driver, though. Thanks!
Open Office 4.1.10
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Tikatu2 wrote:I'll check for a 32-bit driver, though. Thanks!
No! You must download the Windows 10 driver from HP. As you are running 64-bit Windows it will be a 64-bit driver.

The AOO application is a 32-bit application which is talking to a 64-bit driver.
Tikatu2 wrote: I did do a .pdf print and it was fine. According to HP, my printer only prints .pdf files.
So, the created PDF has colour in it which means AOO knows there is colour in the document.

Double click the PDF to open it and go File > Print ..., and print it. This uses the PDF reader's print mechanism and it should print the colour. If it does not, there is a different problem.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Tikatu2 wrote:According to HP, my printer only prints .pdf files.
This is just nonsense!
They might have told you that to confirm the diagnostic on your machine. A printer is not designed to print only PDFs!

If you print from another application (your web browser for example), does it also happen?
It is strange to have padlock on the settings (your screenshot). It's like you had not enough rights to access those settings. Have you installed the drivers being admin of the machine and for all users?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10