I think my software is corrupted

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
chrijeff

I think my software is corrupted

Post by chrijeff »

I have a long exchange going on over in Writer which is getting me exactly nowhere (go here and you'll see it viewtopic.php?f=7&t=105765). No matter how many times I do what anyone suggests, I still CANNOT get my quotes to be curly. Yet when I first downloaded AOO, which was on 7/15 (and therefore, presumably, was Version 4--I know someone mentioned that V. 3 is picky about this), I was able to get them to do so. Now, all of a sudden, they Absolutely Will Not! I'm beginning to think that the software is somehow flawed or corrupted. Is there a way for me to be sure? Can I delete it from my laptop and try again? If so, how?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
RusselB

Re: I think my software is corrupted

Post by RusselB »

Simply go through the Uninstall process, which in Windows is fairly simple, or if you want to be more sure of the uninstallation, use CCleaner to do the uninstallation.
Once complete, I recommend rebooting your computer, then downloading a fresh version from the official website, located here
If you want to try LibreOffice, which has a higher level of active development, then you can get a copy of it here
There are some, for the most part, small, issues with having both OpenOffice and LibreOffice installed on the same system, the main issue being that the last version you install will be the default program for your office type files (Writer, Calc/spreadsheet, Base, etc.)
But, generally speaking, the two can be used on the same system without difficulty
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

First thing to try is to reset your OpenOffice user profile.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A software reset, as Hagar suggests, should also cure your curly quotes problem. Go with the defaults - make no adjustments until you try them after the reset.

Note that you will lose the /File /Recent Documents list, but the files themselves are in the folders where they were Saved. As you open each, it will once again reappear in recent Documents list.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RusselB wrote:There are some, for the most part, small, issues with having both OpenOffice and LibreOffice installed on the same system, the main issue being that the last version you install will be the default program for your office type files (Writer, Calc/spreadsheet, Base, etc.)
But, generally speaking, the two can be used on the same system without difficulty
I think the only issue is the last to install sets itself as the default program to open .odt etc files. There are no other issues as both programs are completely independent and stand-alone.

It is easy later to change which program opens which files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

chrijeff wrote:I'm beginning to think that the software is somehow flawed or corrupted. Is there a way for me to be sure?
It isn't flawed - well, not for curly quotes it isn't :super:

It works for millions of others so it is something different on your PC or something you are doing wrong.

Be sure to reset (or delete) the profile as reinstalling does not change the profile - it reuses the old profile if it is still there.

First, fix the "It's something different on your PC". If you want a guaranteed, completely fresh, clean install then:

1. Stop AOO
2. Reset the profile by renaming C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user to something different like ...\user-OLD
3. Uninstall AOO
4. Download AOO from https://www.openoffice.org/download/
5. Install AOO

AOO will ask for your name, initials etc. If AOO does not ask it is because you did not do step 2.

If that doesn't fix it, it's the second problem: "it's something you are doing wrong".

It would help if you upload a small file showing the problem so that we can see exactly what you are doing and replicate it. Press POSTREPLY and click the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file. Note that in your other thread, it is demonstrated that some fonts (eg LO's Courier Prime) do not include curly quotes - they only have straight quotes.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.