I can only Open Read-Only" or "Open Copy

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
essarebee

I can only Open Read-Only" or "Open Copy

Post by essarebee »

When I open a document to edit it, my choices are "Open Read-Only" or "Open Copy". Why can't I simply open a document, alter it, and then save it (rather than "Save As")? Any help would be most appreciated. Also, after the 17th of July, I will only have internet service at intervals, so I might not respond quickly beyond that date.
OpenOffice4.1.7 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: I can only Open Read-Only" or "Open Copy

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
This is common if the file(s) are originating from an attachment that came with an email.
If this describes your situation, download the attachment(s) first, rather than opening it directly from the email.
If this does not describe your situation or if you still have the same problem after downloading the attachment(s), then use Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Windows Task Manager and ensure that only one instance of OpenOffice is active. If you aren't sure, then you can simply close any soffice processes and then reopen OpenOffice.
Closing the soffice processes will ensure that there are no instances of OpenOffice currently running on your computer, thus when you open the OpenOffice application (Writer, Calc, Base, Impress, etc.) then you will have only one instance of OpenOffice running.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
essarebee

Post by essarebee »

Thank you for the suggestions! However, it doesn't correct my problem. This problem doesn't involve an attachment, but rather documents that I have created and saved. It also happens in Calc. There are no other instances of OpenOffice running. Anything else I can check?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

If you have a file ...\MyDocuments\fred.odt search for files named .~lock.fred.odt# in ...\MyDocuments. They are the lock files and you should delete them They are hidden files - google for how to display them.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

Try this file
Attachments
test.odt
(12.14 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
essarebee

Post by essarebee »

Thanks! I followed the tutorial, although things look somewhat different in my system. Avast and Defender are both running. I did allow soffice in both, but my problem persists.
essarebee

Post by essarebee »

John_Ha wrote:If you have a file ...\MyDocuments\fred.odt search for files named .~lock.fred.odt# in ...\MyDocuments. They are the lock files and you should delete them They are hidden files - google for how to display them.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

Try this file
Thanks! I don't have any locked files, although I am familiar with them from the past. I can view hidden files. Also, I have a 64 bit system - I wonder if that is a problem. I have never been able to update OpenOffice either manually or automatically.
essarebee

Post by essarebee »

Oops, forgot to say that I can open the test.odt and make a change. But then I again have the choices "Open Read-Only" or "Open Copy".
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

That isolates the problem to something on your computer. Try to Save a test file to your Desktop. That will confirm that it is definitely a permissions problem.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
essarebee

Post by essarebee »

RoryOF wrote:That isolates the problem to something on your computer. Try to Save a test file to your Desktop. That will confirm that it is definitely a permissions problem.
After doing that, I have the same results. Permission problems have popped up for all sorts of programs and situations in the past. I've never understood it because I am the administrator with all permissions. So, you're right that it isn't an OO problem
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

essarebee wrote:When I open a document to edit it, my choices are "Open Read-Only" or "Open Copy".
Is that the complete message? There's usually more which indicates why you have those choices.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
essarebee

Post by essarebee »

There are actually 3 choices, with "Cancel" being the last. No drop-down menu or anything else.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Those three options are usually on a message with the title "Document in Use" which says that the document is locked and the name of the user who has locked the document. Are you seeing a different message? Please upload a screen shot of the message.
essarebee

Post by essarebee »

I don't see any locked files anywhere, nor is this file in use. Also, if I search for "Campground%20list%201.odt", nothing shows up.
Attachments
This is what I see;
This is what I see;
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

"Unknown User" in that message most often means that the file is locked by some external program (such as Avast or Defender) and not by a lock file.

Earlier you said that you set Avast and Defender to allow "soffice". In Windows, there are two "soffice" files, "soffice.exe" and "soffice.bin". You have to allow "soffice.bin".

When you search, you have to replace %20 with a space.
essarebee

Post by essarebee »

I've turned Defender off, and added sofice.bin and soffice.exe as exceptions to Avast. Same results. And replacing %20 with a space doesn't yield results. I want to thank all the kind folks who offered help. I'll keep trying, and any suggestions are appreciated. Soon, as I indicated, I won't be able to access the forum very often. I'll be back as I can.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

First, do a normal reboot so we know you are starting with a clean machine. Then do each of the following in the order shown.

1. Strange problems are often fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.

essarebee wrote:Avast and Defender are both running.

You should never have two low level programs (eg two AV or two firewalls) running at the same time. Stop one or both of them and test. Is it now OK.

3. Now test by booting the PC in Safe Mode - google for how. Does that fix it? If not, boot normally and continue.

4. Make sure AOO in stopped. Say tom.odt is a problem file. Right click tom.odt > Properties > General. Is it set to Read Only? is there a lock file .~lock.tom.odt# in the same folder? If there is no lock file, double click tom.odt to open it. Does it open OK?

5. right click a problem file > Properties > Security. Do you have all the permissions as in my image below? Does EDIT or ADVANCED show anything?

6. Start AOO. File > New > Text document. Add a few words. Save it as harry.odt on your desktop. Can you now open it? If not, upload harry.odt here.

7. Start WordPad (START > Windows Accessories > WordPad). Create a file. File > Save as > scroll Save as type ..., and choose .odt. Save the file to the desktop. Does it open OK with WordPad? Does it open OK with AOO?

8. Using WordPad, navigate to a problem .odt file and open it. Does it open OK?

9. What version of AOO are you running - go Help > About AOO.

10. Is Windows fully up to date?

11. Please explain how and when it started. Was it OK before? If so, when did it start? Did you made any changes to the PC about then? Check to see it you have a System Restore point going back to before then - google how. If so, restore the PC to that Restore Point. Does that fix it?
Clipboard01.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.