[Solved] Unable to save OpenOffice files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
ambledl

[Solved] Unable to save OpenOffice files

Post by ambledl »

After years of trouble free use my OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 suddenly stopped me saving files, .odt and .ods. Other formats not tested. This happens even when I open file and do File/Save without even making any changes. Same failure occurs when I do a Save As to the same or different location.

Failure reads "Error saving the document XXXXX.
General input/output error C:/users/me etc. etc."
Followed up by "OpenOffice 4.1.6 Error saving the document xxxxx
General input/output error"

If I try Save As to a different location this additional message occurs:
"File not found. Check the filename and try again" which seems incongruous as the file doesn't exist in the different location as I am trying to put it there. I can copy and paste files to different locations using Win 10 File Manager but as I can't make and save any changes this is no good to me.

This error only occurs with OpenOffice files, not other products so I guess it is not a general Windows 10 thing.

I have uninstalled 4.1.6 and installed the latest version 4.1.10 with the same result.

I have seen fleeting mention of a file called soffice.bin which seems to be part of the OpenOffice Installation. It appears only briefly and appears to be a Denial of Access message for this file reported by OpenOffice. Don't know if this is part of the problem or a side effect of it.

Grateful for any help. This problem is having a serious effect on my work.

Dave.
Last edited by ambledl on Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Unable to save Openoffice files - unskilled user

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Problems with Windows Defender under Windows 10

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Andytec711

Re: [Solved] Unable to save OpenOffice files

Post by Andytec711 »

Go to windows defender home settings and turn on app & Brouwer control. it worked for me after this ;)
windows 10
open office 4.1.7