[Solved] Writer Crashes Opening Specific Document

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
aivlys

[Solved] Writer Crashes Opening Specific Document

Post by aivlys »

I have a fairly small writer document with 3 tables that crashes when opening. OO opens and I see the document, but then OO crashes before I can do anything. I can open other documents, create documents, save them, etc. I've tried:

- Obviously rebooting
- Deleting all tasks of OO running
- opening a new document and trying to insert the offending document\
- making a copy of the document to open
- changing the extension to a zip, I then find an xml with the data, but if I try to pen that with OO it crashes
- re-initiating who I am in OO by getting rid of the appdata entry

I can re-create the document, but that is not the point of using "productivity" tools. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm running 4.1.10 with AOO4110m2(Build:9807) - Rev. b1cdbd2c1b 2021-04-19 19:30 on Windows 10. Likely this document was created in an earlier version back in December of 2020, but other files created in the same timeframe work fine.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.10 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: OO Writer Crashes Opening Specific Document

Post by John_Ha »

Such problems are usually fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.

If it's just one document which causes the problem please upload the file so that it can be analysed. Press POSTREPLY and click the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
aivlys

Post by aivlys »

I had already reset by user profile to no avail, so have uploaded the file. Hopefully you can help with some magic!

Thanks!

Sylvia
Attachments
Captains Log Template.odt
(17.53 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Opened correctly for me; I resaved it using a different operating system, as that sometimes cures a problem.
Attachments
Captains Log Template_resaved.odt
(15.19 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
aivlys

Post by aivlys »

Your reopened and saved worked for me. Thank you so much!