Installer Troubles

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
WindowsUnenthusiast

Installer Troubles

Post by WindowsUnenthusiast »

So, I'm running Windows 10 on a still-like-new machine.
I downloaded the OpenOffice Installer when I got the pc, back in Dec, but never got around to running it, until today.
The Installer I had downloaded was for OpenOffice 4.1.8, and when I try and run the installer it keeps trying to make my desktop the installation directory, but it also keeps interrupting itself, and claiming another instance of the installer is running.
I figured this might be a problem with an older version not wanting to fetch a database right or SOMETHING, so I stopped the install, restarted my computer, and downloaded the installer for OpenOffice 4.1.10.
Unfortunately, I'm running into the same problem. :crazy:
I've been using Open Office for the better part of 10 years and never had such a problem before. I'm lost as to what I could be doing wrong.
Last edited by robleyd on Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove Toxic Topic icon
Trying OpenOffice 4.1.10 and 4.1.8 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Installer Troubles

Post by Bill »

WindowsUnenthusiast wrote:when I try and run the installer it keeps trying to make my desktop the installation directory,
It's not the "installation (program) directory, it's the installation files directory which is unpacked on the Desktop. Those are the files necessary to install the program files in the program files directory. That is not a problem.

Regarding the problem of "another instance", that's a Windows problem. Try an Internet search for the error message. This can find other discussions of the problem on this forum and elsewhere. Maybe someone here can help if you provide the exact error message instead of a description of the message.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
robleyd

Re: Installer Troubles

Post by robleyd »

You may have the OpenOffice Quick Starter running. Open the task Manager - Ctrl + Shift + Escape - and switch to the Applications tab. Terminate any soffice processes, then without rebooting, try the installation again.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers