[Solved] When can we expect 4.1.10 on Microsoft Store

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
daneck69

[Solved] When can we expect 4.1.10 on Microsoft Store

Post by daneck69 »

I currently have 4.1.7 installed on Windows 10. I have a 64b system, but the 32b version of AOO installed. I don't spend a lot of time in AOO, but every time I open a document I need to do a recovery. Today I attempted to download and install 4.1.10, but being in safe mode it needs to come from the Microsoft Store. An suggestions?

Thanks.

daneck
Last edited by daneck69 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: When can we expect 4.1.10 on Microsoft Store

Post by Zizi64 »

Any suggestions?
- Try the LibreOffice. It has 32/64 bit versions.
- Download the installation files of the software from the official site of the AOO or LO. These are secure sites.
- The AOO is a 32 bit software. It requires 32 bit Java.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

"Safe mode" is a diagnostic tool that changes how Windows starts up. I don't know what it has to do with the Microsoft Store. Is there a setting on your Windows 10 that you can change to allow other apps?

Change your app recommendation settings in Windows 10
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Bill wrote:"Safe mode" is a diagnostic tool that changes how Windows starts up. I don't know what it has to do with the Microsoft Store.
The OP is most likely not referring to the actual "safe mode" option entered at boot time, but the "Safe" or "Secure" Windows version "Windows 10S". When that is installed, you cannot install any software except what you find in the Microsoft Store.

Porting to the Microsoft store is by third party enterprises. Not sure how fast their update processes are. In the store there is the "LibreOffice Vanilla", ported to the store by CIB GmbH and priced at around 10 USD. There are also a couple of OpenOffice ports, similarly priced. Not sure whether part of the revenue goes to AOO/LO funding. Someone else will know more.

As for "when can we expect...", better ask those third parties. Apache and LIbre foundations do not have first hand knowledge about this.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

1) Why should I trust any 3rd party dumping stuff to Microsoft servers to earn money for nothing.
2) If I were Microsoft, I would reject unmaintained zombie products in my app store. Contrary to LibreOffice, OpenOffice is a zombie project.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The OP is most likely not referring to the actual "safe mode" option entered at boot time, but the "Safe" or "Secure" Windows version "Windows 10S". When that is installed, you cannot install any software except what you find in the Microsoft Store.
That is a useless Windows version.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Villeroy wrote:1) Why should I trust any 3rd party dumping stuff to Microsoft servers to earn money for nothing.
2) If I were Microsoft, I would reject unmaintained zombie products in my app store. Contrary to LibreOffice, OpenOffice is a zombie project.
Nobody asks you to trust anyone. As for the "money for nothing", as previously stated I don't know whether the porters are putting it all in their own pocket or contribute something back. You may know more. If so, please share! I would like to know.

As for the "zombie project" claim, I submit that this site is part of that project, so you are already participating ;-)
Zizi64 wrote:
[...] "Windows 10S". [...]
I do not contest that statement. Still, there are users of the version, by own choice or someone else's. It is not always easy to change.

Even considering that Microsoft allows free upgrade, I have seen computers sold with 10s installed on 32 GB hardwired storage. That would be assuming that everything is done in the cloud, I guess.

Another situation is the managed solutions where the organization has deemed 10S easier to manage.
2kj3rh

Re: [Solved] When can we expect 4.1.10 on Microsoft Store

Post by 2kj3rh »

finally there is a reliable openoffice on ms store. no spyware, no adware, no virus, no money. thank you community. i hope libreoffice will follow you. there is also firefox on ms store. only thunderbird and sumatrapdf are missing. there are also ditto clipboard manager, vlc (the classic vlc), inkscape, irfanview.
OpenOffice 4 on Windows XP
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Zizi64 wrote:

[...] "Windows 10S". [...]

I do not contest that statement. Still, there are users of the version, by own choice or someone else's. It is not always easy to change.
How you can run your own softwares written in Delphi, C++ or other?
How you can install (free or commercial) softwares from the industrial manufacturers for theirs instruments? Not all of them will pay to MS for placing their software into the M$ Store.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Zizi64 wrote:How you can run your own softwares written in Delphi, C++ or other?
How you can install (free or commercial) softwares from the industrial manufacturers for theirs instruments? Not all of them will pay to MS for placing their software into the M$ Store.
You can't. The "S" version is not for the kind of user who would want that.

Not sure about running own softwares, but I doubt it. In particular if you use any external libraries not available through MS store. Have to register to MS dev. community and port it through a designated channel I guess. People who actually do development work may know the details better.

Quite sure about downloaded software. Does not compute.

As previously mentioned, it is not always easy to change. Win10S came with a free option to upgrade/unlock, but often preinstalled on a 32G disk, so most likely there is no room to simultaneously hold the upgrade files and the installed upgrade.