[Solved] Unsaved files lost after Windows reboot

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
pinkwaz

[Solved] Unsaved files lost after Windows reboot

Post by pinkwaz »

SOLVED - My computer rebooted overnight for an update and when I logged in to OO, it asked for user profile info, which I left blank and bypassed. Open documents I had been working on, but didn't save, usually come up with a recovery process, but did not and now I don't have anything listed in "recent documents." How can resolve this?
Last edited by pinkwaz on Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Re: backup files user profile

Post by RoryOF »

Stat OpenOffice from the Programs button, then use /File /Open navigation buttons to get to the folder your files are Saved in. As you select and Open each file, it will thereafter appear on /File /Recent Documents.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
pinkwaz

Re: Unsaved files lost after Windows reboot

Post by pinkwaz »

Sorry for the confusion. I can find files, but am interested in the backup of the ones I had open when the computer rebooted. Presently, the file is the previous version I had saved the day before. I'm hoping there is a backup folder in a user profile.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Backups, if enabled, will be in the Backup folder indicated in
/Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Paths on the Backups line.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

pinkwaz wrote:Open documents I had been working on, but didn't save ...
... are stored only in memory (unless you have AutoRecovery enabled and an AutoRecovery save has been saved) and all changes made since the file was opened are irretrievably lost when AOO stops or crashes or when the PC powers off.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.