Saved docs changing type

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
cybercrone

Saved docs changing type

Post by cybercrone »

Hi:
I did find one other person who had this problem, but their solution had to do with Lotus, which I've never used.

Problem is, I write a doc, save it, and when I open it next it's pasted across a spreadsheet.
I have no idea of any constant that might be affecting this.
Any ideas at all?
TIA
~marilyn
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
--Mark Twain
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10 Home 1909
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Saved docs changing type

Post by Zizi64 »

I suppose that you saved the document as a pure ".txt" file or you saved it without filename extension ".odt".

Please upload a sample document here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

D*mn Windows 10 update often mess up the file associations.

Google for set file associations and give AOO all its defaults (.ods, .doc, .docx, .ods, .xls, .xlsx etc).

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
cybercrone

Post by cybercrone »

Hi John:
OK, in order to do this properly, I wanted to change it on all my computers. I haven't tried on the one listed in my sig, but I'm trying on my 'upstairs' and travel machine, an Acer running Win Pro Education 2004 - and this Education program seems to be set up to purposely keep you from finding anything. Nothing at all related to the instructions on the net, but I did find it, only to discover that in order to change my file associations to OO, I HAVE TO PAY 13 BUCKS TO BUY IT FROM M$!!!
I don't know if it will be the same on the other machines - one of which is out of service anyway until I can get somebody in to fix the XP on it (still my favourite) - but as I remember from trying to set file associations in the one listed in my sig, it will be the same story.
Do you (or anybody) know how I get around this?
TIA . . .
~marilyn
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
--Mark Twain
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10 Home 1909
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may be that you can change File Associations by right clicking on an instance of each type of file, and choosing "Always open with" selecting OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

cybercrone wrote:in order to change my file associations to OO, I HAVE TO PAY 13 BUCKS TO BUY IT FROM M$!!!
No you don't.

Go Start > Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type ..., and give AOO .odt, .doc, .ods, .xls etc.

Or Start > Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Set defaults by app ..., and give AOO all its defaults.
Clipboard01.png
Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.