[Solved] Version 4.1.10 won't install

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
MommycatB

[Solved] Version 4.1.10 won't install

Post by MommycatB »

SOLVED by restarting after uninstall and before the new install. I had been restarting, but not at that specific point. Thank you all.

OpenOffice was starting to be unable to open documents I created it in. After trying several fixes, I uninstalled OpenOffice and tried reinstalling it from the web site. I get almost finished with the install and I get a message that says "Please exit OpenOffice 4.1.10 and the OpenOffice 4.1.10 Quickstarter before you continue...." I have everything deleted from OpenOffice. 4.1.10 is the new version I was trying to install, newer than anything I already had on the computer.

I need this to work. I have important documents I can't access without it.
Last edited by MommycatB on Wed May 05, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.10 on Windows 7 Pro
RoryOF

Re: Version 4.1.10 won't install

Post by RoryOF »

Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift sc) and kill all soffice processes shown on TaskManagers tabs. Then install OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The term "Quickstarter" is misleading. It is an auto-starter and shutdown-preventer. If you see a little OpenOffice icon near the clock on the task bar, then you know that OpenOffice is up and running without showing any document window. The office application is "preloaded" in order to react faster when you are going to open some document and after closing the last document window, the office process keeps on running waiting for the next request. This constantly running process makes trouble when updating the program and when installing certain extensions. It makes trouble because the program is not shut down when you think it is.
Right-click the little icon near the task bar and choose the Exit command (or similar).
Under Tools>Options>Memory you can tell the program to not use any "quickstarter". On a recent machine you won't notice any difference.

The task manager provides just another way to kill a running program even if you can't see it.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

MommycatB wrote:...I uninstalled OpenOffice and tried reinstalling it from the web site. I get almost finished with the install and I get a message that says "Please exit OpenOffice 4.1.10 and the OpenOffice 4.1.10 Quickstarter before you continue...."
A forum search found that others have solved this problem (for other versions of AOO/OOo) by restarting the computer after uninstalling the old version.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04